Shooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts
There is a distinction, several of Nosler's Ballisitic Tips are still Varmint bullets, those above the 85 grain .257" bullets are hunting bullets.

I use Winchester 130 gr Ballistic Silvertips in my 270. I shot an 8 pointer with them right behind the front shoulder. The lungs and heart were like jelly, but I lost very little meat. The bullet did not hit any bones, and the buck ran about 100 yards and collapsed. He was about 100 yards away when I hit him.
IMO, they worked fine, and I'll continue using them. These are the newer generation BTs, and I like them.

Quick question...so should I not try the scapula shot on whitetail with the ballistic tips?
I wouldn't. It would most certainly take down a deer with a good rifle, but not the ideal spot to be shooting at.

take a look

http://trailcameras.net/hunting-blog/bow-hunting-shot-placement.php

This is just a site I found with a quick search.

I think I know where you are talking about, but deer anatomy is a little different than some people may think. I usually go for heart shots, up a couple inches from the "elbow" of the deer. The scapula of a deer is really high up and granted you could hit the spine, or cripple both front wheels, it may not be as quick of a death as a heart or lung shot.

I have used Nosler BT in 140 grain 7mm-08 and 150 grain 30-06. On antelope and whitetail size animals at ranges from 100-400 the bullets always performed accurately and with excellent expansion. As noted on other threads, the expansion can sometimes lead to excessive blood shot damages. I converted to Nosler Accubonds and they are equally accurate in my rifles and based on two whitetails seem to have less explosive damage enven with soft tissue hits.

Quick question...so should I not try the scapula shot on whitetail with the ballistic tips?
Not if you want to eat anything off of that end..... :eek:

Lung shots, ought to kill like poison. My dad loves them in the .25-06 but small Ozarks whitetails don't present much of a challenge for the bullet.

First buck I shot at with an NBT was a 6 point whitetail at 100 yards. DRT. Bullet entered just behind shoulderblade and missed all bones except two ribs. The vertebra to which the ribs had been attached were mush! Very little meat damage.

I think I'll load some 120 NBT in my 260 rem, with a reduced velocity so that it will be about 100 yard velocity at 25 yards. I'll use them when the kids borrow the rifle. I'll give up some meat gladly, if it increases the chance of the girls not loosing their first deer.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
First buck I shot at with an NBT was a 6 point whitetail at 100 yards. DRT. Bullet entered just behind shoulderblade and missed all bones except two ribs. The vertebra to which the ribs had been attached were mush! Very little meat damage.

I think I'll load some 120 NBT in my 260 rem, with a reduced velocity so that it will be about 100 yard velocity at 25 yards. I'll use them when the kids borrow the rifle. I'll give up some meat gladly, if it increases the chance of the girls not loosing their first deer.
Cool...I hope to get an opportunity to try them out when gun opens back up.

switched to the 120 bt in my wife's 260. the 140 corelokt at a muzzle velocity of 2550 didn't do much of a
channel wound.
she shot 2 deers with the 120 this fall. and wow that's the load we needed.
massive internal damage

I shot a cow elk in the lungs with 225 grain Noslers out of my .358 Winchester last Sunday. Range was around 50 yards. The handload was 2400-2450 fps and I was very happy with the bullet's performance.

I was loading the 150grain BT in my .280 when they first came out. The rounds were exceptionally accurate but I stopped using them as I was getting inconsistent results at the terminal end. About 2 years ago I gave the 140grain BT a try in the .280. Same great precision and the performance has been very consistent. I have yet to recover one of these bullets, results have been a large wound channel and consistent end results on big northern whitetails.

you oughta try that hornady rnd kdub mentioned.. accuracy and good kill power.that an fusion 165 will usually leave them about where they took the rnd at.. this according to people i know that usem.. im not hunting
much right now..

Of the Noslers I've shot just two wts/calibers I fine they are 1. Very accurate bullets!
The only game I've killed so far with them is a yote at around 250 yards with the 125 gr BT in my '06. at just over 3000 fps it blow the front shoulder off! The others I have are 180 gr 8X57 bullets! I get 1" or less groups out of a bone stock Milsurp WWII G98/40 at 100 yards! Haven't killed anything with them but I'd say any deer that gets wacked with one will not go far!:D

Discussion starter · #57 ·
I would like to bring this thread back from the dead. I again went to the range today with the same .30 06 and Federals with 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and shot the following group at 100 yards. I am very happy with the performance accuracy wise with this load but still haven't had a chance to shoot a deer with Nosler Ballistic Tips since I have been doing a ton of bowhunting. Anybody had any success with the Nosler Ballistic Ballistic Tips? Oh by the way the one flier was my fault lol!

The BT's are typically very accurate bullets. I shot 8 or 9 whitetails with them while hunting in Wisconsin. I recovered every animal I shot, but on most of them, the bullet performance (140gr BT's from 270 Win.) was not at all what I would consider ideal. In each case, the deer ran at least 50 yards and for several of those there was little blood trail, since there was no exit wound. I have since switched to the Accubond bullet, which is as accurate as a Ballistic Tip and has the controlled expansion and better penetration of the Partition (although it does not have the Partition design).

The AB's still shoot MOA groups, even out to 300 yards, but the difference is that they expand nicely and leave TWO holes for tracking...if such is needed. Of the three deer taken so far, I have been happier with the AB's performance.

As MikeG mentioned early on in this thread, the BT's are actually great, if you slow them down. I shoot them from my 6.5JDJ pistol and also use the 125gr BT in reduced loads for my wife's 30-'06. Both have performed well on whitetails, even at close ranges. They just over-expand when driven too hard. Maybe the 165gr bullet would be less likely to do so, since it's fairly heavy for caliber? Personally, I'd rather be sure, so I'd shoot the AB's, instead.

The only true case of bullet failure (not, my failure shooting a bullet :eek:) was with a 165/168?gr Ballistic Tip in the Winchester Supreme line, several years ago. I shot the Tn buck behind the shoulder as he was slightly quartering away, at about 45 yards (ground stand). He ran off and when I began tracking him I found a blood trail the likes of what I'd never seen before or since. I found the deer about 125-150 yards away (so many would not call this "bullet failure"). The buck had a 4" diameter hole in his onside hide and also a 4" breech in his rib cage with very little internal damage. He quite obviously bled to death, but not from what I would call a typical bullet-caused wound. If my shot had been on the shoulder, I have doubts that I would have found him.

I watched from a respectable distance as a friend field dressed his 3X3 muley buck shot head on in the chest with a 165 Accubond from a 300Winmag from about 200 yards. Even the paunch was ruptured. Huuuurrp!!:eek:

No sign of the bullet anywhere.

Like was said before. DON"T SHOOT THE DEER WHERE YOU WANT TO EAT FROM.

RJ

41 - 60 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.