Shooters Forum banner

Nosler Ballistic Tips on Game

14K views 80 replies 53 participants last post by  Perferator 
#1 ·
I have never used Nosler Ballistic Tips on game but hope to pretty soon. I have shot opportunities ranging from 10-200 yards. How does this bullet perform on whitetail deer at these ranges?

#3 ·
If you hit them in the right spot they work great just like most other bullets. I have found with these is that they are a extremely quick expanding bullet. They will open up within 1-2" of penetration. I shot a doe this year through the neck and at about 150 yards with a 6mm 95gr Nosler BT it left about a nickel size exit hole. As long as you put it in the boiler room, they work like a charm. Should drop it in it's tracks. If you make a bad shot, it might look like an M80 went off in there.

#5 ·
That bullet is designated as a big game bullet by Nosler and will perform well on deer.

#6 ·
Highly effective

I shot a whitetail deer at about 200 yards with a 165 grain Nosler Ballistic tip out of a .30-'06 and it was extremely effective. The animal was hit just behind the front shoulder broadside and fragmented through the body cavity and into the shoulder on the other side. It did not go through any bone. All the meat on both front shoulders was completely destroyed. The copper jacket was about all that was left of the bullet with a little residual lead in the base.

I decided not to hunt with them anymore when pursuing game because the bullet damage was so violent that there was a significant loss of what I would have otherwise considered consumable meat. I was particularly concerned that if the bullet had hit bone on the way in that it might not have made it into the boiler room.

This was over 10 years ago, so I don't know what improvements Nosler has made to the ballistic tips since then. I know I shot the rest of the those loads at the range and I still have a brand new box of the Nosler BT's in 180 grain that I've been hesitant to load up.

I might also add that I thought the Ballistic Tip bullets were a little finicky when working up a load, but that could be for any number of reasons other than just the bullet.

Just one hunters experience. I am interested to hear others experiences with these bullets.

Cheers,

E

#7 ·
We've killed a couple dozen deer with Ballistic Tips. Joe uses 150 gr NBT in his 308 and likes them I use 130 gr in my 270 and like them. Joe had one instance where the expansion was so violent that there wasn't an exit hole; that was at extremely close range: 5 yards from base of tree. I've had only one bad experience with mine, also at close range. I hit the deer (a 2.5 yr old 8 pt) a couple ribs in front of the diaphram, and though the entrance and exit were clearly in the lung area, the shock was was so violent that it ruptured the diaphram and the stomach itself. It was one crappy mess inside and was a bugger to get the meat clean.

Your 165s are a bit stouter than either of mine, so I think they'll work great for you. Just be careful on shots closer than 40 yards to put the bullet in a vital place that won't hit major bone or get into the guts. Personally, I'd risk a little meat loss and hit him high shoulder and put him down on the spot. Those I've done that to were DRT.

#8 ·
They are varmint bullet, don't shoot a deer anywhere you think you might want to eat the meat from, if you do and especially if you hit bone you'll see first hand the "M-80" result!, I won't use them any more!

#9 ·
As most everyone else has said, put them in the right spot and deer are DOA.
I usually dont like neck shots, but I have claimed a few bucks at close range with the BT in neck. They work like a charm. The only reason I quit using them is to shoot in the shoulder or any angle at close range and have enough bullet to exit. I now use AB's

#11 ·
I could never get them to shoot worth a ****. Best I could do was 3 inch group at 100 yards with a 24 in SS "match" Heavy bull barrel. I Weighed 10 150 grain NBTs today from a new box of 50 and the weights spread from 149.5 to 150.6 So I never got a chance to try them on game. I tried them again today in my 16 inch AP4 barrel and could barely keep them on a pie plate @ 25 yards. Both rifles were 308 win BTY.

AL

#12 ·
Don't shoot the parts you plan on eating. Extremely destructive!

Lung shots, fine.... but my oh my, it will look like a grenade went off inside. Great for lower-velocity cartridges, and single-shot pistols, etc. I prefer the Partition.

#13 ·
NBTs in 30-06

I have no experience with the 165 grain, but plenty with the 150 grain NBT in a 30-06 and the 140 grain NBT in a 280 Rem. They are very accurate, moreso than the partition bullet. I prefer the partition for all heavy game, but the NBTs will get the job done if you do your part. Take out the lungs, just behind the shoulder and you'll be pleased with the results. They do expand violently on heavy bone and tissue, so I would avoid this shot placement. Excellent long-range bullet as the expansion is reduced with lower velocities at 300+ yards. I wouldn't shoot anything I wanted to eat in the shoulder. Great hunting!!! :)

#15 ·
The B.T.'s of 10 years ago are not as tough as those made now. One thing most people say about them(me included) is they are usually very accurate, but every rifle has it's preference. They really are best used on deer and prairie goat sized game----but don't make any shoulder shots:eek:

#17 ·
last year I shot 3 deer at about 125 yards all 3 of them dropped with in 15 feet apart with my 264 mag 100 grain ballistic tips at 3601 FPS.
I hit all 3 of them high right above the shoulder it took a big chunk of the back bone out of them they dropped right where they stood.
I could not believe I got 3 deer in the same place within 30 minutes.
that will never happen again in my life I'm sure.
This all took place with me laying in the middle of a 3 acre open hay field with me no cover of any kind laying prone.
But I will agree the ballistic canruin a lot of good meat.
I have done that to with them. they are also very accurate.
I will never take a shot at a running deer because you can not pick your shot on them. And I have never shot one that took another step after hit.
I have used the 100 grain ballistic in my 243, 6.5x55 and my 264 and never had a problem with them. another good bullet to use is the Hornady
SST's for deer.

#18 ·
Earlier this year as an experiment I tested Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets (100 grain) in my .257 Roberts loads. I had been using Sierra 100 grain Pro Hunters. Accuracy with the Sierra's was good, but I've been told that if you want to see what your rifle is capable of try the Ballistic Tips. When I loaded the Noslers my groups shrank, and seemed more consistent. I've now standardized on the Ballistic Tips for my deer / antelope load.

Took these loads to the deer woods last month. Sadly I didn't get a chance to try them. Ol' Buck saw me before I saw him and he disappeared back into the brush. Thus ended our relationship. Oh well...maybe next year. :eek:

#20 ·
Well, I definately want the most meat from a deer I can get so I will be selective in shot placement. I might revisit the range with Remington Core Lokts 165 grain and see with a good rest just how good they perform. I have shot two deer under 70 yards this year, one with a muzzleloader and one with a 30 30.

#23 ·
The BT's are great for accuracy, and I have a wonderful 30-06 load with the 165's. They make fine groups and I shoot them for practice. I'd use them on deer if I had to, but since I don't have to, I use the partition, or others. If I were to use a BT for big game, it would be a medium-to-heavy-for-caliber; 180 in the 30-06, for example.

#29 ·
Matt, down here - the deer can be varmits!

I will admit to never having lost an animal due to using a BT. However, I have thrown away quite a lot of meat after using them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.