Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering loading one of these 2 bullets but I need more info. They will be loaded for a 308 and the grain will be 150. Pros and cons? Please and thank you

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
The past history has suggested the BT expands more explosively and doesn't penetrate as far. So it depends what you want to shoot at. Nosler bullets that I've had all have a very slight taper in the bearing surface, as compared to Sierra or Hornady, which do not. Some guns seem to shoot very accurately with that taper and some not so well. So it's yet another individual gun's preference issue. Hard to tell how real it is, since many folk use trial and error in load development, changing multiple variables at the same time, so they may just randomly miss finding a good load? See Mike's sticky on the OCW method to find a link to a good systematic load development approach.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I've found both capable of very fine accuracy, but wasn't pleased with how the 140gr BT's (270 Win.) performed on big Wisconsin deer. I switched to the AB's and so far, with limited numbers, the terminal performance is more along the lines of what I prefer.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have killed a lot of deer with 165gr .308 cal BTs loaded to .308 velocities in a .30-06. I found at full blown .30-06 velocities (2800 to 2900 fps), they were too explosive. It just so happened that accuracy wise, both my guns loved them toned down to 2650-2700 or so. I also found that terminal performance on deer was a lot better at this speed. One of the last deer I shot with a .30-06 Nosler BT was a big body buck and it was a pure front quartering shoulder shot. The bullet got through the shoulder fine. I don't know that it would have at 2800 to 2900 fps.

Now, I personally would not have much confidence in 150s with full .308 Win loads. I would go with 165s if you are using Ballistic Tips.

All that said, I would now buy Accu-bonds over BTs. My supply of BTs was bought prior to Accu-bonds being common and proven. In ABs, I bet 150s might be fine.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I used BT's for a number of years with great success, as long as you stick with the heavier end of the spectrum, you should do fine with these bullets.
Accubonds and BT's are vastly different in my experience in terms of terminal performance, although they shoot surprisingly similar in my rifles with identical weights/loads.

Whereas you need to stick with the heavier BT's to gain good terminal performance, this isn't so with the Accubond, or the Partition for that matter, the lighter for calibre bullets work just fine.
I use the 110gr Accubond in my 25-06 for all my big game hunting, which includes camels and donkeys on occasion, and they work tremendously well on all medium sized deer.
I know that over there they're also used on Elk, which is a much larger deer than anything we have in Australia! We do have Sambar deer here, which run around 600lbs (stags), but unfortunately we have calibre restrictions for such deer in the state I live and hunt in, the legal minimum is 270cal/130gr pill.

The most penetration I have ever personally witnessed was a Nosler Accubond 338/225gr that went end to end on a Sambar stag that tipped the scales at a whopping 650lbs, it was a frontal chest shot, slightly angling across the body, and the bullet was found perfectly muchroomed in the ham about an inch from exiting, the only thing that stopped it from exiting was that it hit the thigh bone and smashed it to pieces before coming to rest.

I have used a lot of 338cal bullets in my time, and I have never seen this type of penetration with any of 'em, whether out of my 338WM or 340WM! The Accubond is one tough bullet!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Accubond is a very good bullet. Works well on deer and up. I had problems getting the nosler bt to shoot well in a 270 I had. I tried a lot of different loads and could not find one that was accurate. Switched over to hornady sst's and the gun shot great.

·
Banned
49 Posts
As a guide, I have seen both used. On speed goats and whitetails the BT is "ok" I have seen them not penetrate as well as I beleive a bullet should but they do their job. Its not a bullet I like to see used for a raking shot.
The accubond is alot better for Mulies, Elk ect. Tougher game and marginal shots the Accubond I have alot more faith it. I have seen them sledghammer game which means less tracking and less worry of something getting away. I do have a rifle that wont shoot a Accubond for noones buisness and have known of a couple others as well though have another that if i do my part right shoots right at MOA.
I personally use BT for zero and practice then go to a tougher premium bullet for hunting.
Easy answer, use both and understand the advantages and limitations of both.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used the 150 gr. BT in both .308 and 30.06. Extemely accurate but penetration was not that great. The majority of the time the bullet would be recovered under the skin on the offside shoulder and these were medium sized Texas deer. I am probably going to switch to Accubonds this year and move up to 165 gr bullets as we are getting more shots at big hogs and the BT is probably not the best for that.

·
Banned
49 Posts
I used the 150 gr. BT in both .308 and 30.06. Extemely accurate but penetration was not that great. The majority of the time the bullet would be recovered under the skin on the offside shoulder and these were medium sized Texas deer. I am probably going to switch to Accubonds this year and move up to 165 gr bullets as we are getting more shots at big hogs and the BT is probably not the best for that.
Wise move. I was trying to imply the very thing without starting a war with guys who just absolutely have taken 1000 elk with BT;) To add to it, i have seen BT blow up on near shoulder of Mulies. So do they work yes, maybe depending, but I prefer a client shoot Accubonds then BT and Partitions over both those in the when speaking in the Nosler world of bullets.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had trouble using the ballistic tip 150 gr. in my .308 Win. In Pennsylvania thick woodlands, you don't always have the perfect shot. The ballistic tip "blew up" in the shoulder of a nice 8 pointer causing a next day partially eaten by coyote find. I have since switched to Hornady SST, I have not had any problems. The SST even has nearly the same point of impact as the Ballistic tip out of my gun.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I will agree with Romey on the virtues of the BT bullet verses the Accubond bullet! I found the Accubond to be a better bullet for holding up and penetrating on larger big game animals like elk down range. Both of these bullets shot very good groups but I will only use those BT bullets on coyotes and predators simply put. ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
My vote goes for the AB. I have seen both good and bad performance from the balistic tips on white tail deer. AB just flat out lays the smack down if I do my part. I now use the BT for coyote and varmint hunting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts