Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But thinking about it. Just got a black rifle in 308 Win. Anything "special" I need to know about reloading the 308? I learned the hard way that my gun doesn't like soft point bullets. Trying to avoid making a similar mistake if/when I start reloading.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Welcome to the world of handloading!

As a beginner the best advice is to buy a handloading manual or several. Read the text that covers the whys and what for before trying to assemble your first batch of ammo. Doing that will save confusion, missteps and offer a better chance of success. The manuals that many use are Lyman, Hornady, Sierra and Lee. Powder suppliers and manufactures of bullets have online sites with load data.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Owning and reading several different reloading manuals is really the best way to start. Great wealth of information is within the pages of reloading manuals. I have loaded for several different .308 rifles and have found it to be among the most straight forward and forgiving of cartridges to load for. I have gotten better than average accuracy with just about any load that I have tried in all rifles that I've loaded for. I think that once you get started, there may be several here that can give you suggestions as to how to get your black rifle to shoot soft points. My family and I have built several 5.56 black rifles and they so far have shot whatever we've tried to put through them very well. All the best. Good to see you posting.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
But thinking about it. Just got a black rifle in 308 Win. Anything "special" I need to know about reloading the 308? I learned the hard way that my gun doesn't like soft point bullets. Trying to avoid making a similar mistake if/when I start reloading.
The .308 is a very friendly cartridge to reload, but I am puzzled by your inability to obtain positive results with using soft point bullets. Did you try various bullet weights or is this only with factory ammunition. There is tons of reloading information for the .308 with several bullet weights and types. I use mostly 150 grain Soft Points in my two .308 rifles and found that the best powders are: IMR-4064, WW-748, and Varget.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem I am having is a failure to feed in my ar308. The ammo is Freedom Munitions SPBT 150gr factory reman. After I found a 308AR forum they said this is a typical problem for the ar type rifles. I took the rifle apart & polished the feed ramps & got rid of the sharp edges on the lugs around the ramps but still a no go for reliable feeding. I bought some 147 gr fmj & it worked flawlessly. The spbt fired & ejected just fine. But won't feed worth a darn. I guess I'll have to fire them one at a time & make sure it's not jamming.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,799 Posts
I'll parrot the recommendation for perusing the texts of a good reloading manual (Lyman 50th Ed is my favorite) prior to attempting to reload. Getting set up for reloading even with the most economy priced equipment and supplies is a considerable investment, however, a semi-auto eats ammo at a fair rate so handloading is a good option. Your rifle may not digest regular full length sized cases and may require a set of small base dies.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Glad to see you here and hope that you post often. These folks have given good advice. Over time you will likely acquire a number of reloading manuals that can be a real asset. If you have a friend or relative that is a reloader, they would be a good source of information. Sometimes it is possible to obtain quality used reloading equipment at some local gun shops. Let us know how you doing with reloading and getting your rifle to function. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
980 Posts
I can only add a bit to the suggestions above (except the "sell the gun" post). For a new reloader I suggest besides a manual, a text on the "How To" of reloading. "The ABCs of Reloading" is a very popular basic, entry level text that shows the "how to" and explains components (powders, primers, bullets and cases), and equipment used/needed with a bit of shotshell and casting information...

Go slow. Double check everything. Most important, have fun...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The problem I am having is a failure to feed in my ar308. The ammo is Freedom Munitions SPBT 150gr factory reman. After I found a 308AR forum they said this is a typical problem for the ar type rifles. I took the rifle apart & polished the feed ramps & got rid of the sharp edges on the lugs around the ramps but still a no go for reliable feeding. I bought some 147 gr fmj & it worked flawlessly. The spbt fired & ejected just fine. But won't feed worth a darn. I guess I'll have to fire them one at a time & make sure it's not jamming.
Could there be much of a overall length difference between the 147 FMJ and the 150 SPBT? It would be nice to know that the length of each cartridge is and maybe try a lighter/shorter SPBT to see if that cures the problem. I am very sure that there is a solution somewhere that can get soft points to shoot in this firearm.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,084 Posts
Might try some of the plastic-tipped bullets. If FMJ will feed, I'd think those would also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The soft point oal is 2.746", the fmj oal is 2.792". What should they be? I've read on other forums that, depending on your rifle brand, you may or may not have problems with soft points. The ar15 has similar problems.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The soft point oal is 2.746", the fmj oal is 2.792". What should they be? I've read on other forums that, depending on your rifle brand, you may or may not have problems with soft points. The ar15 has similar problems.
I was thinking that a longer length might be causing the hanging, but this is not the case as the FMJ is actually longer. Overall length varies depending on the bullet used and falls into a range. It is not a hard number. Many times, it has to do with whatever fits in the magazine. Mike G's suggestion to try some of the nylon tipped bullets may work, as the nylon tip would simulate the FMJ, but still allows expansion. Don't know if anything with nylon tip comes in factory ammo. I still think it should be possible to get SP's to feed though.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you are trying to learn reloading ... a black AR isn't going to make life any easier .
When something doesn't work ...you aren't sure if it's your reloads or the rifle .

Take it slow , find factory ammo your rifle will function with and function 100% of the time ...
Then try and recreate that ammo so the rifle will shoot for you .

You need to get a reloading manual or three and get one geared to AR rifles .

I learned to reload with bolt action rifles ... 50+ years ago , life was so much simpler then .
Good luck , Load safe,
Gary

·
Registered
31 Posts
Talk with a good gunsmith, the soft point problem most often is a easy fix
308 surplus ammo might be something to consider

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go for it . You’ll likely find it addicting. Kits are ok and somewhat practical for beginners, but if you do some research, buying individually will be less wasteful.
Watch videos on YouTube such as :
Panhandle Precision, Hornady Loader,
Fortune Cookie, Gunblue 490, Ultimate Reloader and various others. Accurate Shooter is a good site for reference.
Handloadersbench.com as well as this forum and others are good too. Never hurts to get manuals by the bullet makers of the projectiles you use. I could go on and on for there is so much advice to give; but I’ll refrain. Do it , you’ll likely love it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I started reloading in the early 1970’s and it was also the .308. The internet is also a great resource. I have 3 manuals, but I also use the internet to research bullet weights and powders.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook has several chapters that address the why's, how's, and components for reloading. I've found it to be a very good resource. Being a fairly new manual, it has reloading data for a lot of the powders and bullets that are in current production. I started reloading in the mid-1960's, and the loading data in those old manuals does not include data for many of the currently made components, so make sure you get a fairly current edition reloading manual. You can also find a lot of reloading data online. Several powder and bullet makers have good online resources, but are often limited to just their products. As a beginner (and actually even if you are an experienced handloader) it is good to make a written check list to follow during your reloading work. There are steps you need to do every time you reload, and then additional steps you need to do after several firings of a given case. Having a check list to refer to helps keep the process straight.

Perhaps the most important rule for handloading is to only do it when you have free time without any distractions. If the wife is continually pestering you to do this or that, or you can't get away from the texts, emails, and phone calls, you ARE going to make mistakes. Further, you don't need to complete all the reloading steps in a single setting. You might clean, resize, and prep cases in one setting, prime in another, then powder and seat the bullet in a third setting. You just need to leave yourself notes on what has been done to the cases in your loading block. One thing often not stressed is to inspect EVERY case after powdering to make sure you didn't miss one. I keep a small, bright LED flashlight on my reloading bench and physically look in every case after powdering to make sure I didn't miss one. NEVER skip that step.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
If I understand correctly. The problem is not your future reloading; this is happening with loaded ammo you bought? The Freedom Munitions SPBT 150gr factory " reman" is failing to feed?

Do your self a favor, go to Walmart and buy a box of Remington 150 grain soft points 308. bet they work fine.

the remanufactured ammo is mostly the problem, not soft pointed ammo.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you are trying to learn reloading ... a black AR isn't going to make life any easier .
When something doesn't work ...you aren't sure if it's your reloads or the rifle .

Take it slow , find factory ammo your rifle will function with and function 100% of the time ...
Then try and recreate that ammo so the rifle will shoot for you .

You need to get a reloading manual or three and get one geared to AR rifles .

I learned to reload with bolt action rifles ... 50+ years ago , life was so much simpler then .
Good luck , Load safe,
Gary
Great info, as is the suggestion to use small base dies. My AR's (2) both are "iffy" feeding unless i use my small base dies.
Also, the advice to read loading manuals is right on the money, but let me add: Don't just read them, make sure you understand what you read. When i started back in 1975, i got a Speer manual and read it cover to cover and made sure that i understood what i read before i ever even set my press up. And welcome to one of the most addictive habits!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts