Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, at least for posting. I guess I am a little confused about the policys here in that some threads are just one or two days old and then they are closed (locked) I appears that the moderators just allow the opinions (thats what most replies are) of a favored few and then lock it up?
I'll monitor this forum a little longer before deciding whether to move on to friendlier pastures.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Every forum I visit is the same - threads get locked. There is no more civil ("friendly") forum out there. I know they don't play favorites here. Participation is one of the keys here along with being nice. You are averaging three posts a year. Why not participate?

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Don't just monitor, join in. You are obviously interested in shooting, reloading, hunting or firearms if you found this forum. Let us know what you shoot and like. I'll bet there is someone here with the same interest. Just keep it non political and firearms related and you won't find your thread being locked.

·
Registered
560 Posts
This is by far the friendliest forum out there. As far as i know any gun related question or opinion is welcome here. I am glad that the moderators won't tolerate rude replies or fiction zombie crap threads here.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Are some differences here.

This forum/web site is owned by one man... you'll notice a lack of pop-up ads directing you to other sites. When a post comes too close to being an ad, it's likely to get closed (one guy pays the bills... don't hitch-hike your business on his site). Moderators have to try to keep the owner's wishes in mind when looking over posts... so it's not just a judgement call, it's a judgement or another's wishes.

This is a Christian, G-rated, site. We want to keep it clean and respectful and we avoid politics. We come here to talk guns, ammo, reloading, cooking, and basically the good side of shooting and hunting.

Welcome one and all who share those views.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Is this a Purdy from Purdy Leather goods fame? I sure hope so!!!

The main reason, as I see it (a user not a moderator) is to prevent politics, unauthorized selling, not related topics and or major thread drift. Best as I can tell - there's no favoritism and while the Mods have to make independent decisions, I think it's all been pretty fairly dealt with.

Now... if you are from Purdy Leather - I'm the guy who is getting ready to order the rig with the oak leaf carving!

·
Registered
801 Posts
"This is a Christian, G-rated, site. We want to keep it clean and respectful and we avoid politics. We come here to talk guns, ammo, reloading, cooking, and basically the good side of shooting and hunting.

Welcome one and all who share those views."

And that's exactly the reason that this is my favorite site. I commend the moderators for the teriffic job they do in keeping the content in line with the intent/policy of this very informative and friendly forum.

Dan

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I'm new here, at least for posting. I guess I am a little confused about the policys here in that some threads are just one or two days old and then they are closed (locked) I appears that the moderators just allow the opinions (thats what most replies are) of a favored few and then lock it up?
I'll monitor this forum a little longer before deciding whether to move on to friendlier pastures.
I can't say I agree with you at all. Very few threads around here are locked, and if somebody was playing favorites none of the mods would remember! :D

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
I was not aware that this was a Christians only site. Sorry and goodbye.
I've been gone all week-end. I guess I've missed some snipping,too.
Let me get this right, you are leaving because you think this is a christian site. Fellow, you need to get that large chip off your shoulder. It doesn't matter if you are christian, jew, muslim, atheist, humanist, or even DEMOCRAT,,, as long as its gun related, ask away. All forums have some things wrong with them, but the idea of no cussing, and no politics is a very good policy. I get all of that I want at work.
No matter what forum you go to, remember this, everything that you write, post, or comment on, on the web, is there forever. So before you type,,,think.
I look back at some of the dumb questions I had for this forum five or six years ago and get embarressed. But the whole idea is to learn from others or just share what you know and it just might help someone else draw their own conclusions.
Take a deep breath, step back and try again, just like pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Did not see that comming. Just based on simple demographics just about every open forum would be predominated by the predominate "culture." But, again, this is the most civil site out there. I'm surprised by all this over nothing of any significance.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Thread longevity is determined by those that post to it. Most threads have a normal existence as the information being sought was gained and the discussion runs its course. Those that are short-lived have posts that violate the board rules (those rules can be found in 'stickys' in the various forums). Some threads that get locked are because they're threads that often get rehashed over-and-over, and bandwidth costs our generous host money.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Purdy

This is a great site and I enjoy it and spend a good deal of my time here. The folks here are friendly, civil and knowledgeable. I suggest you hang around, join in and reserve judgment. You might just get to like it. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
350 Posts
It doesn't matter if you are christian, jew, muslim, atheist, humanist, or even DEMOCRAT,,, as long as its gun related, ask away.
Well, sir, I had thought this was the case and have posted on and off, here, with many questions answered and many assisted by my opinions and knowledge. I've never had a single problem.

While you have laid the tenets I thought were in place, I read the following and the posts by those who believe this and it gives me pause. I was being neither snide nor flippant and certainly didn't want to intrude.

"This is a Christian, G-rated, site. We want to keep it clean and respectful and we avoid politics. We come here to talk guns, ammo, reloading, cooking, and basically the good side of shooting and hunting.

Welcome one and all who share those views."
Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Wow! That happened pretty quickly.
I have found this site to be very friendly, very open, very tolerant.
I was a tad surprised to read that comment about this being a "Christian" site - a tad only, not very, since there is a sub-forum for religious discussion (Crosswire). Even in that arena, my experience ( I'd have to describe myself as an atheist - certainly not a believer) my experience has been quite positive. No sniping. No hate filled commentary. Then, I do not attempt to argue my belief, or lack of it, with anyone. Faith is a gift, I respect that.
Pete

·
Registered
307 Posts
if youre reffering to recent threads being closed, about bears, the topic had been beaten into the ground. "this caliber" not good enough for bears over and over and over gets tiring. and "what weapon" for space aliens gets a little old real quick. i understand this is a g-rated site, and i enjoy it. im a member of other forums and they can get pretty harsh, but i find myself posting here more than any other site, and asking more questions here. and as far as the religion thing goes, i myself am athiest also. but as an athiest i made that decision, and i dont want people pushing religion on me. and i also understand that other people made the decision to follow a religion, and i respect them for that. im not going to push my non-beliefs on them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I believe this is a great site to learn about shooting sports and all that goes with it. I`ve learned a great deal here. What I`ve learned is only a grain in a universe of knowledge on this site. Keeping unrelated subjects out leaves the subjects most come here to learn about. If everyones religion was reveiled, you would discover a wide diiversity, working together for a common goal! Why cant that happen more often? To new members, search the older threads for your particular subject. It`s probably been talked about before. To the owner & moderators, THANKS for a great site!

·
Registered
852 Posts
"To new members, search the older threads for your particular subject. It`s probably been talked about before."

:confused:So the newbes are to search the site before posting about any thing if I read the above correctly:confused:?

:rolleyes:While the old timers keep posting the same old stuff year after year. Bet there is not a post in the last year that hasn't been posted in the past with just different words, spelling and poster:rolleyes:.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.