Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,744 Posts
I'll bet his wind wasn't turning lily pad leaves upside down. ;)

Reactions: crooked creek

·
Registered
16 Posts
This kind of shooting interest me more than anything. Would be nice if there where more info/coverage of such a accomplishment. No video of a match like this in 2021 (GoPro cost less than a box of bullets), just a picture of a guy holding paper with 2 trucks parked behind him in the dessert, the article that says his rifle is 17lbs and 27lbs on the same page, same rifle is left handed but he's holding it on his right shoulder. Berger Ammunition seems to be all over this so there has to be more than just a story.

·
Premium Member
15,744 Posts
The rifle class he shot in is 'heavy' which means rifles over 17 lbs. He's 10 over so safe.
With the demise of Precision Shooting magazine, I'm not sure what publications there are available.
The original 1000 yard BR range was (is?) in PA. It seems now the preferred range for big matches is near Missoula, MT.
Berger is a bullet company that used to be a very limited production outfit, but they've expanded while keeping quality top notch. You see them a lot at the top of results.

Long range riflery is great fun but a bit of work, too. Wind, mirage and all other accuracy factors go up geometrically with range. Most everybody that's tried has shot a great group at a thousand yards....but with several flyers. ;)

Welcome to the forum. We all shoot something around here!

·
Registered
16 Posts
The rifle class he shot in is 'heavy' which means rifles over 17 lbs. He's 10 over so safe.
With the demise of Precision Shooting magazine, I'm not sure what publications there are available.
The original 1000 yard BR range was (is?) in PA. It seems now the preferred range for big matches is near Missoula, MT.
Berger is a bullet company that used to be a very limited production outfit, but they've expanded while keeping quality top notch. You see them a lot at the top of results.

Long range riflery is great fun but a bit of work, too. Wind, mirage and all other accuracy factors go up geometrically with range. Most everybody that's tried has shot a great group at a thousand yards....but with several flyers. ;)

Welcome to the forum. We all shoot something around here!
Thanks for the welcome. Wouldn't it nice if Shooting USA or at least the Official NBRSA YouTube channel covered this record? That was a impossible shot

·
Premium Member
15,744 Posts
That was one good shot followed by nine impossible shots. :)
What part of Alabama? I'll look for a range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That was one good shot followed by nine impossible shots. :)
What part of Alabama? I'll look for a range.
Yes it was. I'm in the center of the state. Lake Jordan. My hunting land lease has big powerline going through the middle of 1100acres. Over a mile between 2 highest ridges with creek in the middle. I don't shoot 2" groups @ 1000yds but I scared a crow off a limb @ 1000 yds back in 98

·
Premium Member
15,744 Posts
My first 600 yard range was on a big power line in Florida. I was told "The first hole in a pole gets you put in jail." I said 'Yessir'!! When right of ways is all you have.....I had friends that shot on RR tracks just to get a hundred yards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I see where that would be a problem. Luckily this line allows 60' both sides for the long shot and the poles are 300yds apart

1 - 10 of 10 Posts