Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was a thread by some guy (don't recall the OP's name) that was locked regarding shooting bullets straight up and another one about how far a 22 will shoot.

Mythbusters on tv did some interesting research/study about bullets being shot straight up. And the bullets due to terminal velocity weren't any worse than a nut (nut's and bolts kind, not acorns ;)) being dropped from afar. The bullets barely penetrated a half inch of dirt if I recall correctly. Plus because of the bullet's spin, they would stay pointing up totally destroying the bullet's BC on the downward fall.

And I do know that someone else (I want to say some folks from the NRA but I'm not quite sure) proved that a bullet from a 22lr won't go a mile no matter what angle you hold it. I want to say it was more like a 1000 yards or something dismal like that. All we would need is the bullet's coefficient and a simple punching of the numbers would tell us one way or the other as to how far they'll go.

So while that OP may have seem like a trouble maker, he was onto something.....

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
While I am not going to re-hash the lethality of a .22 thread that was closed, I'll comment on your first point about the bullet falling.
I saw that mythbusters....a sig 228.
No disrespect meant, but once the bullet reaches it's apex, it'll only fall as fast as the earth's gravity will let it.
A pound of 9mm bullets, a pound of ice cream, or a pound of cherries....they'll all fall at the same rate. Newton proved this hundreds of years ago.

The question really is, what weighs more, a pound of 9mm bullets, or a pound of feathers....:p

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
While I am not going to re-hash the lethality of a .22 thread that was closed, I'll comment on your first point about the bullet falling.
I saw that mythbusters....a sig 228.
No disrespect meant, but once the bullet reaches it's apex, it'll only fall as fast as the earth's gravity will let it.
A pound of 9mm bullets, a pound of ice cream, or a pound of cherries....they'll all fall at the same rate. Newton proved this hundreds of years ago.

The question really is, what weighs more, a pound of 9mm bullets, or a pound of feathers....:p
Um, neither? A pound is a pound. The more relevant question is: Which is more dense? Compress a pound of feathers into the size of a bullet and drop it the same distance, and they are exactly the same. Proof positive that I didn't sleep through ALL of my HS physics classes! :D

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
that's what I was getting at.:p

The desity will most likely determine the penetration.

Would'nt want to stand under either.;)

Now answer this:

Whats a henway?:D

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,730 Posts
Any of the ballistic programs can help. A 40gr. round nose .22 rimfire bullet is not going to have a significantly different B.C. than say a round nose 40gr. .22 Hornet bullet.

Put that in the program, select a typical velocity for a .22 rimfire, and muzzle elevation of 45 degrees and see what the software says.....

It might not be an exact answer, but I'd wager it will be within 10% of actual.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think Myth Busters did a bit on this. I also believe the Department of the Army did a study using a 30-06 rifle. In each instance it was determined that the round would not be letal when it returned to Earth.

On occasion you will read about someone being killed on New Year's Eve or the Fourth of July when they are struck directly on top of the head by a round fired into the air. It has happened in East St. Louis at midnight on a holiday when you hear alot of gunfire. I would not want to stand out in the open to find out.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Myth Busters did a bit on this. I also believe the Department of the Army did a study using a 30-06 rifle. In each instance it was determined that the round would not be letal when it returned to Earth.

On occasion you will read about someone being killed on New Year's Eve or the Fourth of July when they are struck directly on top of the head by a round fired into the air. It has happened in East St. Louis at midnight on a holiday when you hear alot of gunfire. I would not want to stand out in the open to find out.

The nonlethality is when the bullet is shot nearly 90 degrees upwards. When people are "celebratng" or what I prefer to call "acting like retards" the guns are typically at a 45 to 60 degree angle. This change is huge in the performance of a bullet.

·
Registered
676 Posts
At a mile a 40 grain 22LR will still be traveling around 200 FPS depending on initial velocity, angle of gun when shot, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and winds. Optimum angle will be between 30-35 degrees, not 45, 45 degrees only works in a vacuum. I have penetrated a pine wood 2x4 at 200 yards with the same bullet but I had to fire a lot of rounds before I finally hit it. I am pretty sure that at 1000 yards it would not be lethal no matter how many scare stories from 'reliable' sources you may have read.

I have no idea how a hyper velocity bullet under 40 grains would fare at extended ranges because I rely on retained energy of the heavy bullet for my 100 yard plus shooting so I have no experience with them past 50 yards. Everything I have read about the mile and a half range printed on the boxes are relying on perfect conditions and ricochets.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The nonlethality is when the bullet is shot nearly 90 degrees upwards. When people are "celebratng" or what I prefer to call "acting like retards" the guns are typically at a 45 to 60 degree angle. This change is huge in the performance of a bullet.
Yep, there was a story a couple years ago about a cop shot in the face by a "fallen celebration bullet" the reporter ended the story by saying "what goes up must come down". They will say anything to make the gun more dangerous than the nut pulling the trigger.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts

Just being in East St. Louis can be lethal, holiday or not.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,730 Posts
Got a chuckle out of that one!

A key factor in how destructive a very long-range bullet will be is if it returns to earth nose-first. Once they start to tumble, they lose velocity pretty quick.

Something very pointy is going to hurt a lot worse than something very blunt, at the same weight and velocity.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
If memory serves the bullet continues to spin, thus they fall back to earth base first

·
Registered
583 Posts
how much skull does it have to penetrate before you don't want to get hit in the head with it?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Just being in East St. Louis can be lethal, holiday or not.
I live and work in MO - mostly in rural areas. Shortly after returning from Afghanistan, I had to go and work with a colleaque in North St Louis (about the same as E STL). It struck me as odd that I felt more in danger there than a I did in Afghanistan! I longed for the assualt rifle and body armor.

On a tragic note, a little girl in my home town was killed by a 9mm a year ago from a guy target shooting on the next farm over. It was 800 yds or so. It barely penetrated her skull, but barely was enough:-(

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
>A pound is a pound.

Not necessarily. An old riddle -- which weighs more? A poiund of gold or a pound of feathers?

The answer -- a pound of feathers.

Feathers are weighed in avoirdupois ounces. Gold is weighed in troy ounces. A troy ounce weighs more than an avoirdupois ounce; but, and avoirdupois pound has 16 avoirdupois ounces, while a troy pound has only 12 troy ounces. Even though a troy ounce is heavier, 12 troy ounces weigh less than 16 avoirdupois ounces.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts