Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Marshall Stanton, owner of this website and forum:

-----------
As far as political commentaries go on the forums, I would appreciate a focus on gun/2nd amendment/hunting issues being the limit to political orientation of the forums.
-----------

Thank you all for your cooperation.

·
36,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir, that was very classy of you. We appreciate it a great deal. Also, don't feel too bad, we did not have a stated policy on this in the past, so no one gets a bad mark for doing so. I can say I've been guilty too.

Reactions: kucing

·
36,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Now I'm the one digging up a 12 year old thread ;)

OK, folks.... we are going to have a little update, or perhaps clarification, regarding political posts. First.... general politics is still a NO-NO. Period. Rants and going off on non-gun related topics will get threads closed, quick. The mods are tired of it, and so am I.

How we got where we are.... this will require a little trip down memory lane, and may be especially helpful to new shooters, or those that have not paid attention to gun control politics in the past.

I have been associated with the board since the late 1990s. The 'join date' on my account stems from the revamp of the board to vBulletin (or a server crash, I forget which), but we had a different board format before that. Anyway....

In the mid 1990s, certainly after the 1994 mid-terms, gun owners were fortunate that they voted in a pro-gun Congress, which further thwarted gun control efforts by the Clinton administration. Backlash over the 'assault weapons ban' put a solid pro-gun majority in Congress, and we had little to worry about for the rest of the 1990s at the federal level, with respect to gun control (there were other issues but this thread is about gun control posts).

The 2000 presidential election, and the 2004 re-election of George W. Bush put a very solidly pro-gun administration in the White House. As an aside, George W. was elected governor of Texas when a popular sitting governor vetoed a concealed-carry bill that she promised she would sign, and then we kicked her out of office. So yes, state gun-control politics do matter, and bubble up to the national level. Get involved in your state association!

Basically, other than alerting members about pro- or anti-gun legislation at the state level, there wasn't a lot of reason to discuss gun control bills on the forum in that time frame.

That all started to change in 2008 and it remains to me, a complete shock at how many gun owners were completely oblivious to the long and consistent anti-gun records of two "F"-rated senators running for the democratic ticket, one of whom was the author of the aforementioned 'assault weapons ban' (should have been a clue, folks!). Despite their solid history of being about as anti-gun as you can get, many gun owners refused to believe this was going to be a problem. As it turned out, gun owners had made some gains in concealed-carry laws, castle doctrine, and certainly the Supreme Court decisions of Heller and McDonald were protecting our rights throughout the last 8 years.

Along the way, the anti-gun administration we presently have did what they could to undermine our constitutional rights via the executive branch. Example, approving of firearms being sent to Mexican drug cartels (Fast and Furious) then using that as an excuse to push for more gun control; Operation Choke Point to cut off financing to gun manufacturers, and other various and sundry executive orders. Plus pushing from the 'bully pulpit' to the national media for more gun control, and so on, which invariably lead to panic buying (and it did in the 1990s as well, if anyone remembers that).

If gun control did not happen at the federal level, though, some of our fellow members were forced to suffer through it at the state level. So things haven't been all rosy the last 8 years, although they certainly could have been worse.

We got a few leftist gun-control trolls in the 2004 and 2008 and 2012 elections, and we will get more of them in the 2016 cycle. Not a lot but enough for us to know that the gun control crowd was trying to be divisive on forums such as this.

In an effort to educate forum members, the various anti-gun proposals and legislation (at the state level) and executive actions have been brought up on the forum, and also the recent passing of Justice Scalia from the Supreme Court.

Further, information on pro-gun organizations, such as the NRA and various other state and national groups has been made public. These organization exist because we, the individual gun owners, simply could not do it alone.

Now we are approaching some perilous waters, and still, the number of gun owners who are ignorant of their elected representatives and candidates (on the gun control issues) continues to astound me. The stakes simply could not be higher. Without Justice Scalia on the court, it is extremely unlikely that we would have had the Heller and McDonald decisions. Which means, the next Supreme Court justice will have a pivotal role, if (when) those decisions are challenged by lower courts.

Which also means, that it remains critical to alert gun owners to the importance of this, and other pivotal races in this election year. As much as it would be GREAT if we could ignore ALL gun-control issues on the forum - that would be political suicide. And believe me, there is nothing the anti-gun crowd would like more, than for the Shooter's Forum to stop educating gun owners on the issues.

So keep in mind, the purpose of bringing gun-control issues to the attention of the members, is to EDUCATE on the consequences of such decisions. The decision each individual makes, in the voting booth on election day, is their own. Certainly, we got where we are today because plenty of gun owners pulled the lever (or pushed the button, or punched out the chad) for really, really, really, severely anti-gun politicians. That is an undeniable fact. Whether gun owners did this out of ignorance, apathy, denial, etc., is an open question. But if gun owners don't get educated, then there is no hope of making an informed decision. We are trying to use the forum for education.

While it would be great to have the luxury of two "A" rated candidates at the presidential level, that just isn't going to happen. Not this year.

If a gun owner knowingly votes for an anti-gun politician who will put anti-gun justices on the various courts, and willingly sign any/all anti-gun legislation, and sign further executive orders restricting our rights - then there isn't much I can do about that. Once they are educated, our role at the Shooter's Forum ends.

The rest is up to you. And, to emphasize, if a post (or a response to a post) is focused on the topic of gun control, and for the purposes of EDUCATION, then it can stay up. The SECOND it goes off the gun topics, goes into general rants, goes off the deep end re: anarchy or end-of-the-world scenarios, or makes personal attacks on other forum members, then it gets locked. Period. The mods have free rein to lock anything that is getting out of hand and I will back them up.

I hope that is clear. As much as I would prefer to never, ever, ever have to discuss gun control on the forum - I don't think we have a lot of choice in the matter this election cycle.

If you have comments or questions, then let me know and I will do my best to answer. The thread will remain closed to prevent the things that invariably get these threads closed.

Thanks for understanding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.