Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my Field Grade .475 this weekend. It is QUALITY! Built like a Swiss bank vault. Have only shot it a little so far, had way too much fun with it!
Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi mcassill,

I fully agree with you.

I'm the happy and lucky owner of on FA Premier grade 10" in .454 Casull.

And my second FA is arrived at my gun dealer so I need to find the money ;);) it is a Premier Grade 7.5" in .50AE.

Both of my FA have a octogonal barrel.

Want to add : it costs lots of money but it worth the money invest.

Just my 0.02 cents. Cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim:
I've had a .480 for about a year and a half, so I'm well set for a lot of stuff. I'm probably going to get another mould or two for it as soon as I figure out what this guns' likes are.
Mark

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Mark,

From a fellow Iowan, just remember, if it's black and white and says, "Moo," it's out of season!!

I hope we hear updates on your experiences on this challenging revolver. With your previous .480 involvement, it will be interesting to hear the comparisons, particularly felt recoil.

Dan

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you havent tried them yet the lee 400lfn and the rcbs 400 kieth both shoot great in my buddies and my linebaughs. Ballistic cast makes great molds for them too. For $20 the lee is a bargin and its shoots GREAT with 27 grains of 110 and 15 grains of hs6.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh but Dan, the cows have such excellent flavor!! ;)
Mark

·
7,762 Posts
Hey Mark, I concede the flavor point, but was thinking about those shotgun toting farmer Browns......limited sense of humor. I can't run anymore and flunked camouflage in the army, so the meat counter gets my "moo" action.

Was the .475 procurement out of interest/curiosity or do you have plans for some hunting? I've noticed that most of the pictures I've seen of hunters posing with their game show the revolvers to be scoped, any plans along those lines?

Dan

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan, cow hunting works like this. You pick a nice spot along the road, out of sight of any houses and other activity. Cover of darkness helps too. Back truck up to fence, shoot, load up, and skedaddle. Better meat than some tough old deer anyday. ;)

Now seriously, I got the gun because, well, I found out that my local dealer in DSM had some on order and decided that I had to have one of them. Will probably have it along as a backup for deer hunting this winter and for the sixgunner.com hunt this spring, with the .500 being the #1 gun. I have used a scope on a .44 for deer hunting previously, and found it to be a real handicap for the area (southwest of Ottumwa) where I hunt. Shots are close and moving as a general rule, and a 2x scope gets in the way big time. I guess if I NEED optics on a revolver I already have the Burris red dot on my Taurus .454, and that works nicely for any range I'm likely to try shooting a big revolver at.
Mark

·
7,762 Posts
Mark,

Understand about moving targets, or at least quickly acquiring the sight picture. Last winter I enjoyed the indoor ranges timed bowling pin shoots. They had bowling pins, pop cans, golf balls, etc. scattered around and at various elevations. I was the only one using a single action and it showed.....middle of the pack performance was the best I did in competition with double action and semi-automatics.. I experimented with a Leupold scoped S&W MasterHunter and a Bushnell Holosight S&W Model 29 several times and found the Bushnell Holosight worked a lot better than either iron sights or scope for sight acquisition. Those darn golf balls at 15 yds caused the shooters the most trouble, with the swinging pop cans next in line. If nothing else, one learns shooting under the pressure of time and/or movement is a challenge.

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts