Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please not a political discussion! I'm 34 years old and have been shooting since I was 5 or 6. Started out with a BB gun then quickly moved up, under strict parental supervision. Shot my first deer at 10, competed in 4-H shooting .22lr out in Texas. I'm pretty much the run of the mill life long shooter and firearms enthusiast. I am a Law Enforcement officer and I believe in the right to firearm ownership. I believe in our rights afforded to us by the constitution as citizens of our country. I have never been a member of the NRA. Aside from the political entity of the NRA what benefits would joining the NRA do for me? I'm considering joining but I honestly do not know much about the NRA. Anyway someone please enlighten me.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Suggest you goto...

the NRA .org web site --- at the bottom of the page you can click on "About the NRA" for a complete and accurate history of the organization.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,860 Posts
How 'bout checking out the very first "Sticky" at the top of this forum titled "Why I Won't Join the NRA" to answer some of your questions?

Reactions: nachogrande

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,122 Posts
Yup. I put that up to get gun owners thinking about the excuses some of them use to NOT support the NRA. Give it a read and if you have some thoughts on that, let me know. I do update the thread from time to time (admittedly not lately).

Hope you make the decision to join up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been a Lifetime member since 1972. These are just my thoughts and experience. Over the years I have had some thoughts about the NRA being a little radical on their thoughts and predictions. Well as time has passed what I had been hearing and reading from them, has all come to pass. I am totally convinced we would have lost our right to bear arms or had total registration, by now. The gun grabbers are never going to quit. It is easier to blame the object rather than fix the problem.
Have a great day.
JIM:)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Please not a political discussion! I'm 34 years old and have been shooting since I was 5 or 6. Started out with a BB gun then quickly moved up, under strict parental supervision. Shot my first deer at 10, competed in 4-H shooting .22lr out in Texas. I'm pretty much the run of the mill life long shooter and firearms enthusiast. I am a Law Enforcement officer and I believe in the right to firearm ownership. I believe in our rights afforded to us by the constitution as citizens of our country. I have never been a member of the NRA. Aside from the political entity of the NRA what benefits would joining the NRA do for me? I'm considering joining but I honestly do not know much about the NRA. Anyway someone please enlighten me.
From the NRA...

https://membership.nrahq.org/benefits.asp

Reactions: StretchNM

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The NRA sponsors shooting and safety education for LEO and all Americans.

If those benefits don't interest you enough to support it then, as JW said without the NRA, "we would have lost our right to bear arms or had total registration, by now. "

I assume this post is just 'churrning'.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The ONLY reason U.S. citizens still legally own firearms today is because for many years the NRA and its members have fought to legally retain our Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Never forget that those gun owners who refuse to join the NRA are nothing more than free loaders riding on the backs of us NRA members who fight to protect them along with us. They're a liability.

The NRA is the oldest and largest civil rights organization in the United States.

L.W.

Life Member, NRA
Life Member, Calif. Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Life Member, Calif. Wildlife Federation
Member, Idaho Rifle & pistol Assoc.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
My theory: NRA first then the GOA, and JPFO. I Really like the JPFO.

·
Registered
690 Posts
First joined in 1968 and upgraded to life in 1971,
The creator endowed us with the rights that the Bill of Rights enumerates.
The NRA is a constant reminder to the politicians that it is so.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
"excuses" not to join?

Sorry Mike but that does not seem like a very unbiased statement coming from an administrator. I'm sure some people have a very good reason (to them) for not joining & it is a bit of a personal matter. Kind of like asking who you vote for and why you didn't vote for the other guy. And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
From the NRA...

An official NRA Membership ID card - showing your Membership ID number and expiration date or Life Member status. You should carry this card with you at all times.

With all regular memberships, you will get a choice of subscription to American Rifleman, American Hunter, or America's 1st Freedom. (Premium Digital Editions now available)

Junior members receive a subscription to Insights.

Annual members receive $5,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage at NO COST to you. The plan covers accidents at, or to and from, an NRA event; and accidents that occur during the use of firearms or hunting equipment while hunting. Insurance must be activated at time of renewal. (Does not include Junior membership.)

Life members receive $10,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage at NO COST to you. The plan covers accidents at, or to and from, an NRA event; and accidents that occur during the use of firearms or hunting equipment while hunting. Insurance must be activated at time of upgrade to Life member status

Law Enforcement Officers, that are NRA members, killed in the line of duty will have $25,000 in coverage.

$2,500 of ArmsCare coverage with your NRA membership. This plan covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage.

For purposes of insurance, NRA members must be current active members of the NRA whose name appears on the NRA membership list. Activation Required. Click here to activate.

New and Enhanced insurance coverages through the NRA Endorsed Insurance Programs. Enroll on-line for Life, Health and Accident and Individual Property and Liability insurance or call Toll free 1-877-NRA-3006 (1-877-672-3006.) New Commercial Property Liability Insurance Program for NRA Affiliated Clubs and Business Alliance Members, visit on-line or call Toll Free 1-877-487-5407.

The most important benefit of NRA membership, however, is the defense of your Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. NRA-ILA tracks the issues and alerts members about legislation involving firearms and hunting at the federal, state and local levels of government. Successful legislative action begins with you -- the individual member. For information regarding legislative action or to become an ILA grassroots volunteer, call 1-800-392-8683.
There are other benefits like car buying services, rental car stuff, health insurance stuff, Hotels rooms, cigar and wine clubs, and all sorts of stuff. Just gotta look.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Just back from the sticky

Nice little area for you to stump for the NRA. Whether I am pro or against is not the issue, nor am I tying to belittle all the great things the NRA has accomplished, or try and sway anyone from their position. That sticky area/discussion seems to be awfully one sided since us little folk can't express OUR opinions, JUST YOU. I still have not expressed my personal feelings since how much $ I have & how I choose to spend or donate it to, is nobody else's business, and would likely vanish or be deleted for being political. ONLY ADMINS get to make political posts I guess.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Nice little area for you to stump for the NRA. Whether I am pro or against is not the issue, nor am I tying to belittle all the great things the NRA has accomplished, or try and sway anyone from their position. That sticky area/discussion seems to be awfully one sided since us little folk can't express OUR opinions, JUST YOU. I still have not expressed my personal feelings since how much $ I have & how I choose to spend or donate it to, is nobody else's business, and would likely vanish or be deleted for being political. ONLY ADMINS get to make political posts I guess.
Like, mostly.
The NRA has become big business.
A long way from their beginnings, I first joined over 60 years ago.
The best way to ensure our firearm rights is to VOTE!
Jim

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thirty-five bucks a year is an awfully cheap price to pay to be a member of an organization that fights as hard as they do to preserve our right to bear arms.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
NRA vs LOBBYING

I have to pick the one I love, or hate more. IMO Lobbying is another name for bribing our elected officials to sway their vote, and I simply can't get behind that no matter how much good the NRA does for us. It is the old "do the ends justify the means" thing. However true in theory, that as a US citizen I already have the rights the NRA is fighting to protect. In reality & the world /country we now live in, that is Naïve to say the least. Lobbying only helps to promote that we have the best politicians money can buy, and whoever spends the most on their campaign & campaign staff will likely win the election. How much did our current POTUS outspend his closest opponent by? I have been an NRA member most of my life, I can no longer support lobbying and (I choose to donate my $ elsewhere). You all may do as you see fit, without any hard feelings or recriminations by me. I hope I can expect the same. I truly wish I could support them. BTW a sticky to a thread in the "DISCUSSION" area would imply that more than 1 voice is heard, otherwise it is more of an editorial. The only option we have is to like it, or , not be able to dislike it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have to pick the one I love, or hate more. IMO Lobbying is another name for bribing our elected officials to sway their vote, and I simply can't get behind that no matter how much good the NRA does for us. It is the old "do the ends justify the means" thing. However true in theory, that as a US citizen I already have the rights the NRA is fighting to protect. In reality & the world /country we now live in, that is Naïve to say the least. Lobbying only helps to promote that we have the best politicians money can buy, and whoever spends the most on their campaign & campaign staff will likely win the election. How much did our current POTUS outspend his closest opponent by? I have been an NRA member most of my life, I can no longer support lobbying and (I choose to donate my $ elsewhere). You all may do as you see fit, without any hard feelings or recriminations by me. I hope I can expect the same. I truly wish I could support them. BTW a sticky to a thread in the "DISCUSSION" area would imply that more than 1 voice is heard, otherwise it is more of an editorial. The only option we have is to like it, or , not be able to dislike it.
Consider this: The anti's are CERTAINLY going to lobby for their side, who's going to lobby for ours? Plus the free gun insurance is worth more than the $35 annual fee.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
So sparky

What you are saying is 2 wrongs, do make a right? I agree 100%, it is not fair, but we have to be better than them and prove it at every chance. Gain their respect and the rest should fall in line.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
From the NRA...

. . . health insurance stuff...
The NRA has health insurance options? I just mailed-away the through-my-employer election for the coming year. My insurance is $545 a month. The deductible and co-pay, or maybe it's the out-of-pocket (is that the co-pay?) is $3500/7000. It's through BCBS of Minnesota. I think the insurance is overpriced krapp, but I did not qualify for Medishare because I can't be in church on Sunday. I'm either coming in from a Saturday overnighter to San Fran or San Jose, or going out on Sunday morning to spend all day Monday in the Bay Area. I'd like to know what NRA has in the way of health insurance. Maybe I can bail on the BCBS and get insurance from someone whose premiums I will not mind paying...

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,122 Posts
The thread on the NRA is locked because those things tend to get into shouting matches. However, I will consider any opinions that are sent to me, and add them to the thread as needed. All points of view can, and should, be considered.

An 'excuse,' in my opinion, is when a gun owner enjoys the right to spend many hundreds or thousands of dollars a year on their hobby, but will begrudge ~$35 a year to an organization, or any organization, that supports their rights to own a gun. That is where it is an excuse.

There are probably not a lot of people in this world who are so broke that the equivalent of a box of ammo a year, would put them into poverty. I am sure there are some, but there are a lot fewer than the number of gun owners who don't support any pro-gun organization.

Write your reasons for not joining the NRA, and while you're at it, put your plug in for the OTHER pro-gun organizations that you must be supporting. ;)

Use the PM feature of the forum, or 'contact us' link at the bottom of any page, and I will get the message and work on incorporating those responses in the thread. That is my invitation to all members.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts