Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a great deal on a Pristine Remington today. Its my first 870, even though I grew up shooting them, this is my first, and its my only pump gun. These guns were made in the mid 80s before the Express came out. It was an in between model below the Wingmaster and above the Express. Way above the express. The stocks are a little plain, but the bluing is as good as a Wingmaster and the action is butter smooth. This gun has no dings in the wood, and only one 1" long age crack in the recoil pad. I know its not unfired, but it has only a tiny wear line on the loading gate.

It was marked $300, I had a $40 off coupon, so for $260 I have a pretty sweet shotgun. Its got a 28" Remchoke barrel, so its about perfect for Trap.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yes, they were the first attempt at reducing prices, and oh how far we have come down since then. Sportsman is a very nice gun. I went to get a Sportsman in about 1987/88, and they had the first Expresses in, and I got one of those. It had the flat finish on the metal. I killed two geese with the first two shots with it, but I couldn't stand the flat finish and got another used 1970s Wingmaster Magnum.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No doubt the Wingmaster is a nicer gun, I'd like one someday. I've heard the current ones just aren't what the 70s and 80s guns were. I don't know why though.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The are not "fitted" or finished with any pride, The current production Express has a reputation for jamming - failure to extract especially with the Walmart Winchester bulk ammunition. If you clean up the interior metal the Express will work fine. The Wingmaster is a good one to get and I bet your's is a keeper. What is ironic is that Remington/Marlin/H&R "make" (import) a $200.00 "870 clone" - the H&R Pardner that is rock solid - I am surprised that Remington continues to import it as it is worth every penny and better out of the box than a current production "Made in USA" 870 Express. The lack of current production quality in the Express may be due to pressure from the Chinese and Turkish shotguns imported by Remington/Marlin/H&R and Winchester/Browning/FN and others. They are good shotguns.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really don't think I'd buy a current production Express model, and and older used one would have to be quite a steal for me to be interested in it.

Mossberg's $149 Model 88 is more appealing than the Express. I mainly shoot my Ruger O/Us for skeet, trap, and sporting clays and a Remington 11-87 for 3 gun/Multigun. I bought this one for He Man competition, which is similar to 3 gun except you have to compete with a rifle that is .308 or larger, a 45, and a pump shotgun. If you've heard of Iron Man competiton, there are a few He Man Iron Man competitions. Imagine going down a 1400' Zip Line, shooting targets with a M1 Garand and you can't fumble any reloads! :D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Even though many of the Maverick 88 parts are made in Mexico at least Mossberg assembles the 88's in Texas. Have heard good things about the 88's. I'm no "He Man" but I need to check it out. At least they require "enough gun" -

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only problem is that the M88s don't have the aftermarket goodies like the 870s and 500s.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Express' are still a good gun, just not as good as they could be. The New M887s have a lot of improvements and could be a good shotgun, the plastic cladding everywhere doesn't excite me much though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts