Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More fun stuff out of the big apple...

NY Officials Are Demanding They Register Their Guns

Under the hastily-passed SAFE Act, Gun owners have until April 15 to register their so-called semi-automatic rifles that fall under the state’s own definition of “military-style assault weapons.” The forms they burned are the very forms the state wants them to turn in registering their firearms.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Walt45,

Great Thread! Let's SEE: Dumping 362 chests of tea in Boston Harbor in 1775 or burning gun registration forms in 2014. DO we SEE a pattern here?

Webley

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
Who burned...

Who burned these forms? The owners of gunshops or the owners of the guns? Does NY require people keep some sort of form for the guns they own?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Who burned these forms? The owners of gunshops or the owners of the guns? Does NY require people keep some sort of form for the guns they own?
There is a form you have to fill out on the State Police Web page for any "assault weapon" you own. The guns in question can be called "assault weapons" if they are semi-auto and take a detachable magazine and have any feature the state deems "dangerous".

thumbhole stocks,
pistol grip
muzzle brake
bayonett lug
folding stock
collapsable stock
forward grip
etc.

the people at the rally were burning blank copies of the registration forms. NO ONE i know is registering ANY gun.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I thought they were registered once they are bought.

No guns are registered unless the state or locality demands it. those federal forms stay with the shop and are FEDERAL property. The state CAN NOT get access to them.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Ny gun registration

I can only speak from my own experiences buying handguns in Suffolk county in 2002. 2 days off work to go to the police pistol purchase office in Yaphank to obtain a permit to purchase, which included the handguns ser #, model, make, caliber, store & ffl # of the seller, and price to be paid. Once it was bought you had to bring the gun back so it could be compared to the paperwork & the fee paid, & transaction completed. Burning YOUR receipt? what would that accomplish? The police have their copy. Now all records being on computer there is a risk of info being shared/hacked by anyone from a kid in his Mothers basement to the NSA. All this was after the 8 months it took to get a permit from the very same dept to even own a hangun, NOT CC, those were almost impossible to get. YES this info is old.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Chief,

You got it right from the get go. The BATFE Forms 4473 "Stay with the dealer" UNTIL the FFL dealer goes out of business and then the dealer sends in the 4473s to BATFE. I have been in gun shops where BATFE was conducting an inspection and observed the BATFE agents making photo copies of Forms 4473.

This IS the INFORMATION Age, so if you want privacy, do not fill out Gummint Forms!

Webley

·
Registered
91 Posts
Chief,

You got it right from the get go. The BATFE Forms 4473 "Stay with the dealer" UNTIL the FFL dealer goes out of business and then the dealer sends in the 4473s to BATFE. I have been in gun shops where BATFE was conducting an inspection and observed the BATFE agents making photo copies of Forms 4473.

This IS the INFORMATION Age, so if you want privacy, do not fill out Gummint Forms!

Webley
Thanks Webley, I knew I did..just did not want to stir something up. :)

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
So is there any way to "legally" purchase a firearm without leaving a paper trail.
Of course there is Silky: a private purchase. Any gun you buy from a business - from an FFL dealer - must have the 4473 on file. All private sales are just that: private.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Then how do you figure all the Criminals, who are barred from legally purchasing a gun through a Licensed Dealer, get their Guns? Why through Private sales amount the Criminal Element of course.

Chuckling,
Best Regards,
Chev. William

1 - 15 of 15 Posts