Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best OAL guages? I have a weatherby .338/378. I went out to stoney point and they have a OAL guage but I am not sure. In the past with rifles like my Winchester70 / .308 I would bell the case a bit, put in a bullet, close the bolt, see how far it seated, repeated the process several times until I figured out the OAL for that specific bullet. That is the old way of doing things and I dont have a way to bell the case for my .338/.378. Also I am confused by the compairators I see out there. What IS the best way to firgure out the bullet length to seat it out .0015 from the grooves? :confused:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Zeppelin!
The Stoney Point O.A.L. gauges are just a case opened up like Ya were doin' on your belling except they are threaded on the case head to fit the push rod that the modified case is screwed onto.
I use em and they work real slick fer lettin' Ya know what length hits the engagement point on the lands in Yer barrel.:)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I've used the Stony Point and it works well. What I mainly do is just resize a very small portion of a fired case neck, maybe an 1/8" and seat the bullet a little long. Chamber the case and close the bolt, viola, you've got the length from which you subtract the amount you want it back from the rifling. I usually do this three times, the variance is miniscule. This technique can be used with lever action and break action rifles also. I don't think it would work well in a semi auto and have never tried it with one since the only one I have has OAL dictated by magazine length with the bullets I use. The above process may also not work well with lead bullets as they may deform rather than be pushed back into the casing. You will want to have a kinetic bullet puller if you want to go this route. The Stoney Point is easier to use it you want to try a heap of different bullet styles, this one is free and doesn't require a bunch of extra "stuff" lying around that sees little use.

·
Banned
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KciH

I have used that method sucsessfully on my .308 and .223's but I can bell the mouth of the .338/.378 so I cant get the bullet to seat enough to proceed. One thing I have not tried is to molly the bullet first, hmmmm

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Zep,
I'm a little confused by your last post. I don't bell the case mouth at all, just a good inside chamfer with the deburring tool. The X-bullets are a little "sticky" because they don't have the smooth surface of other bullets. Like I said, and I think you agreed with, I just resize enough of the case mouth to provide a little tension and chamfer it really well. Seat the bullet to the longest OAL the magazine will allow and close the bolt on it. If at that length you can't seat the bolt on it because the lugs aren't engaging yet, just seat it a little deeper with your seating die and give it another go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts