Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a factory round o Remington 45-70 in 405 gr to measure FACTORY overall length?
Please, no recommended lengths, I have all the manuals and the Rem bullets but only need the FACTORY loaded length. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Crimp it in the cannelure. The factory does. If it feeds and chambers, it's not even critical.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Their are 2 cannulers on that bullet, neither one is correct. Above the top one you’ll see a very faint line, it should be seated close to the line and crimped there. Well I’ll back up a bit , depends what gun regarding where to seat and crimp. For other rifles with a long chamber or throat you might be able to use one of the crimp grooves, I can’t swear to that but for leveractions you’ll want to be on that line or close to it. That’ is close to where the factory round is seated.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,739 Posts
Depends on brass length, BUT if your brass is 2.095" long then C.O.A.L. should be 2.55 which should put the end of the case midway in the upper cannelure. the lower cannelure is there to help keep the lead core in the jacket, so "Double Corelokt" as it were.

RJ

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If you have an 1886 Winchester or Browning, you can seat it any length you want. If a Marlin or Henry, then the COAL is critical. And if you have Hornady brass, then you have some more leeway in seating as this brass is much shorter than other brands.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,739 Posts
And if you have Hornady brass, then you have some more leeway in seating as this brass is much shorter than other brands.
Only if it was loaded with FTX bullets, non FTX loads are the same length other brands.

RJ

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Only if it was loaded with FTX bullets, non FTX loads are the same length other brands.

RJ
Dunno, every piece of Hornady range brass I've picked up was shorter. I've yet to run across any that are standard length. That includes the 444 stuff too. If reloading max loads, these need to be reduced too because of this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts