Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question about the OAL of Hornady's SWC for 45colt RV is that they show 1.595"  as the OAL and I was wondering if I can use the Lee factory crimp die even if the roll crimp ends up below the bullet shoulder. Let me know what you all think about this.        Smokeless Jim

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
These are the softer, knurled sided looking bullets right? You won't be able to drive these too fast say 1000 FPS or less.

The factory crimp die should work fine forming it's own crimp groove in the side of this soft bullet. You won't need a heavy crimp though.

Stay with the lighter loads due to alloy hardness/fit to check leading and go from there.

Have Fun, Ray

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I shot a few 200swc with 6.0 Titegroup, and the cases are black all over.When I get over this flu,I'm going to try crimping over the bullet shoulder instead of Hornadys way which made them 1.595"OAL Thanks Contender for your help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well,here it is. I stayed with Hornadys OAL !.595" with 200grSWC, 6.0 titegroup with no crimp at all. Since I could'nt push the bullet in by hand I figured  it did not need a crimp,and there was no blow-by of gases at all.And no unburnt powder or leading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts