Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Merrill Sportsman pistol that was manufactured 20 miles from where I live,probably 35 years ago. It's serial number is "NON GUN" and was used as a demo for gun shows/sales shows. It came from an estate in Florida....so the owners history of it has been lost. The man that made it has passed away as well as his son that was in the business with him. The Merrill Sportsman is a ghost on the internet,other than folks on forums,looking for parts,load data or help. The company had been bought 30 years ago(RPM). Not sure if Jim Rock is still around with it or that it is ran by Gary Wrigley nowadays? It is definitely "one of a kind",although Jim Rock did make a similar piece in his design,serial number "NON GUN 1". Anyone have any idea what it might be worth?
No,not for sale:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks crazydave."$5k - 15k.... " You're scaring me :D :D
The story gets interesting. As a "non gun" it had to be incomplete in machining/cut/welded or something like that. My guess is that machining wasn't complete.
Well.....the darn thing is fully functional! I'm thinking when Rex was done using the gun as a demo,he went in and machined it out to be complete and more useful. If I remember correctly from my visit to his shop long ago,all guns were blued as batches so that the bluing matched. The barrel does not match the frame in color. The photo makes it look more pronounced than it is. That could be the difference in the metal of the barrel blanks he used,compared to the frame metal he machined out. The color difference could be normal(?) The barrel has two parallel fine file marks on the bottom where it was fitted to the frame.......which would be normal for an extra barrel fitted to the frame. I don't think it has ever been fired. Nothing for evidence in the barrel or breech face. It's a history mystery......./

·
Registered
316 Posts
Insure for $15k if you can afford it, homeowner's in addition to NRA. NO WAY it can be replaced - and I'd go with as much as the market will bear.

Another option is to donate it to the NRA National Firearms Museum....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts