Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got some Winchester 500HS Ball powder from my late grandfather.  I know that this is primarily used in Shotshells.  I e-mail Winchester and they indicate the powder hasn't been made since 1969.  Does anyone have any reloading data for this powder or know where I can find some?  Also, can this powder be used for other than shotshells (say small caliber pistols)?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Boy, people are really going to know how old I am on this one! 500HS was one of the first family of ball powders Winchester-Western released to reloaders. It was designed for both standard and high velocity shotshell loads in the WW AA case, and similar case styles.
Strange as it may seem, ball powders have a very long shelf life and do not break down as bad as single and double base powders. Nor does it become dangerous for detonation. If there is no yellow/brown looking dusty particles mixed in with the powder, it could still be good. Only loading a few rounds can tell.
Here are some popular loads of the day:
12 gauge - 2 3/4" AA hulls
3 3/4 - 1 1/4......33.5 grs 500HS - nitro over powder - 3/8" filler wad - 1/4" filler wad @ 1260 fps
3 1/4 - 1 1/4......28.3 grs 500HS - WAA12 one piece wad @ 1220 fps
This powder is dense, but too bulky for much application with the modern AA 1 1/4 oz wads. With the Federal Gold Metal and the Fed wad there could be some uses. Reduce the powder charge 10% if using the Fed one piece wad.
Best Regards, James

1 - 2 of 2 Posts