Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
of load development. Anyone here tried this method and what did you think of it. I think I'm going to try it out on some loads for my .223 and 6MM. It sounds interesting.:)

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I've done it. It gets me zeroed in on a simple charge range such that I can use Lee Dipper Cups to load powder. + or - a tenth or two doesn't make a difference on the POI. You need to shoot from a good distance to get a story told on your target and you may have to do the exercise more than once.

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
I've linked to that site repeatedly in this forum and in the Firing Line forum. Whether you use it to find an OCW load, specifically, or just to get something that shoots in one particular gun, I consider Newberry's round robin method superior to the old Audette Ladder on a couple of counts: First, because it helps wash out difference in fouling and temperature change as you go through the rounds, and second, because it works well at close range, so you don't have to find a 300 yard line to get a clear indication, as the ladder method really needs.

Follow Newberry's link to Chris Long's Optimum Barrel Time (OBT) site for more interesting reading. Using the two together is a terrific combination. I can usually narrow the number of loads required for the round robin to 21 by using it, though you also need QuickLOAD and a chronograph to really make it work. You can use the forum advanced search function to find past posts on the subject.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The OCW method of load development is a new one on me, but using these boards is a wonderful way to learn. I think modern-speak for something like this is "thinking outside of the box." I note with interest the author's comments in para. 6, OCW Instructions about the value of seating bullets out close to the lands is in his opinion "overstated." Also noted his comments that in his belief, this method is of greatest benefit to MOA shooters. The link provided is a source of lots of food for thought.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I've used the OCW load development system before with anywhere from very good to outstanding results. I find the method to be extremely useful and eminently practical, both of which hold great appeal to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts