Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen:

Several months have passed since my last post. As we say in the South, my computer "up an' died." Am now back on line and I thought it was time for the Range Report on the OEM mags currently on sale from MIDWAY USA. First off MIDWAY's pricing has been all over the map from $325 per 50 to $200 per 50. Currently they are advertising $225 per 50 and according to their websight have some 10,000 in stock.
To the mags: They are 7 rounders with the traditional flat follower. These blued steel magazines are stamped Hi-Standard with an eagle motiff and according to MIDWAY are manufactured by an OEM supplier RONAN Ind.
So far I have put about 500 rounds through 10 mags using a load consisting of H&G 68 style 200 grain .45 lead bullets, 6.5 grains of Unique, Winchester large pistol primers and mixed commercial cases. There have been no malfunctions. The mags appear to be about the same quality as Colt mags from the 1970's. That's not bad but certainly not up to current Colt 7 rounders or the top name aftermarket mags (CMI, Wilson, et al).
Like the older Colt mags these Hi-Standard brand units display a small amount of feed lip "splay" in the parallel rear portion of the feed lips. This seems to stabilize after 14 or so rounds have been fired. One mag in the batch I had apparently missed heat treatment as it bent out when left loaded for a week. With the exception of the one mag mentioned all seems well. What can I say, use 'em till they quit - you cannot buy magsprings and followers for less than the price of these mags complete.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Ralph, glad you got your 'puter problems fixed! Thanks for the report on those mags! I think this is a great place to share that kind of information.

re: the mag that missed heat treating - Did you contact Midway for a replacement, or figure it's not worth the bother?

ID

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OEM Clarification

Thanks for the kind words ID Shooter

Regarding the mag that apparently missed heat treatment, I didn't bother to send it back. The follower and spring now reside in an older Mec-Gar mag body that had a follower that never seemed to activate the slide stop. The others in my lot were checked for fit, slide stop activation, loaded to capacity for a couple of weeks, cleared, checked and then boxed for future reference. I've got to watch those run-on sentences.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
humpty:

I last chronographed the #68 Style 200 grain bullet/6.5 Unique combo in July 1996. With that lot of powder and a 90 degree air temperature my records show a ten shot average of 891 fps average and extreme spread of 84 fps. (5" Bar-Sto Barrel) This was with the OLD HERCULES UNIQUE, not the "cleaner burning" Alliant reformulation.

Remember you only have to push a 200 grain bullet to 825 or 230gr @ 717fps to make the current USPSA 165,000 major power factor. Shucks, even the old Webley .455 makes major if if it can get up the steam to push a 265 grain bulltet to 623 fps.

Hope this helps - check your loading data!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts