Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

Is there a standard by which the offhand shooter can judge whether or not they are an acceptable shot? What should a rifleman be able to hit on demand at 100 yards to be considered decent? What about a handgunner at 25 and 50 yards?

Just curious. I've been shooting since I was a kid and can't say I've seen to many people who can hit a pie plate offhand at 100 yards three times in a row.

God bless
Kevin

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
I shoot the National Match Leagues at my range, and I can't break 92 offhand at 200.  It requires such discipline and PRACTICE, most of us working stiffs just don't have the time for.
Most shooters at the matches just psych themselves out when it comes to offhand. I just go into it thinking I'll try to shoot better than I did at the last match!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
To me , any bullet that you can't tell where it hits,when shooting for accuracy at the range , is a wasted round. I try to use a big backstop or target back so I know where every round goes. Folded out refrgerator boxes is good for this. I want to know what I am doing with all my precious rounds when shooting for accuracy.

When shooting for fun I like to hit things that make a splash, dust, smoke or noise.

When practicing  snap shots for hunting or self defense, off hand I like targets at different ranges. When I need to know where these rounds are going I use a big backstop again, but if I know my limitations and what I should be hitting I use a target of appropriate size that makes a splash, smoke, dust or noise.

Your accuracy offhand, I think is what you are asking, is specific to you at that point. For hunting I think the standard for anything will always be the 8" pie plate but a lot of squirrel and rabbit have run through my 8"pie plate. It even is a little smaller for the small deer here in S.C.

I guess what I am saying is your standard depends on your need. Target shooters have a standard because they shoot for score. You won't stay around long if you are not improving or you can't get in the ball park of your fellow competitors. Hunting should be according to the vital area size of the animal or in the case of small game the size of the animal. How often you can hit this area comes down to an ethical question that is always between you and your god.

Now that I have said all that like such an authority I have to say "or maybe not". Ha! Ha!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts