Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Katie went to visit her relatives and friend in Ontario this week, I am home here is Ohio with my foot still healing up.

She went into Canadian Tire and was going to purchase a box of 16 Gauge game shells, she owns a nice 16 gauge that is here in Ohio. She was informed that she need to have the Acquisition Card that you need to possession firearms, you must show that now to buy ammo. I am the one in the family who has the PAL to own firearms in Canada. So she said next time I am at the gun store here in BFE, Ohio to buy a case of shells for her, and buy a MEC 600 Jr in 16 gauge just in case.

And we think we have it bad here in the states.

Jerry

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
You may have lucked out? The Canadians who used to buy reloading supplies here and take them north can't do that now without special permits. 9/11 changed things. I don't know how they are about ammo crossing the border? You'd think they'd have to allow it for hunters, but what you'd think isn't always so. Best to check with the government before trying it and getting into trouble.

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When go to my home in Quebec, we cross the border where there is no check point. In the last few years, I have been buying up what I want, need, may use and what ever at estate sales. Cash and no paperwork.

Jerry

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
we can bring 5000 shells at a time across the border.
Is that a Canadian law or U.S.? My understanding is the problem has been with U.S. authorities controlling export.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wait... so you can just buy ammo in the States without showing a permit?

There are a couple places near me that won't let you handle any firearm unless you show them your PAL. I wanted to take a look at some .22's a little while back but didn't have my license with me, so the guy behind the desk told me I'd have to stare from a distance.

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
You can as long as the American authorities don't confiscate it on the way back. I just don't know if they will do that with loaded ammo or not? I'm sure lots of cars they never check go through with all kinds of stuff on the no-export list. Stuff like mil dot sights, for example. Reloading components for another. Apparently we had three agencies all claiming controlling authority over this at one point. I don't know how it settled out?

A friend of mine who's an import/export attorney reported an incident in which representatives from two of these agencies actually got into a physical confrontation over who called the shots on this? Big urinating contest. As I say, I don't know how it resolved itself in the end or which agency's regulations have to be obeyed? This is what comes from rules and regulations being written by non-elected persons.

·
Banned
334 Posts
We never take more than we need and have never had a problem - either way. We bring both rifles and shotguns - no sidearms. I've never brought 100 rounds for either.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What i meant is that being canadian i can drive across the border
go to cabelas stock up on ammo, Come back then i stop
at the canadian border, show my pal and declare the ammo
i'll pay the taxes and that's all

·
Inactive account
513 Posts
U.S. citizens going into Canada to hunt hunt are allowed to take 200 rounds into Canada, with a Canadian Firearms Form 909 that gets purchased and approved at Canadian customs on the way in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.