Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got the holidays behind us and the shooting season coming up fast.
Being relatively sound mind, I went and inventoried my reloading components, primers, powder, cases for the loading, cast bullets for the shooting. While doing this inventory I found an unopened box from Midway full of 1,000 45 auto Rim cases. Hmmmm sez me, I might ought to load some of these cases in the interests of science and fun. Then way back under the loading bench, behind the box full of bags of cleaning patches and beside the two big Charles Chip cans full of crushed walnut tumbling media there's another suspect box from Midway. Saints preserve us, there's another 1,000 45 Auto rim cases. I'm now a mogul, I have the 45 Auto Rim supple of the free world.
Now, while I'm awash in this sense of well being, I'll need to load as many of these up with a very nice 200 grain SWC from Saeco that I cast and sized up several years ago. I was shooting Bullseye matches then and had three of the large 3lb coffee cans filled with this bullet.
This bullet in the 45 ACp case is rather interesting as it comes from the mold at .453 or there about and when sized it's .4525. With the reduced in diameter case expander/mouth flairing stem and the taper crimp I would get the final sizing when seated into the case and crimped. Worked like a charm for me.
I'm thinking that I could use the same basic load that I used in the 45 ACP case, 4.5 grains of Bullseye, with this same bullet. Anybody have any other loads that I should give consideration too?
Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Always been partial to the 6.5gr of Unique for plinking and blasting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been shooting the .45 A/R in my S&W 625 revolver since 1992. It takes the same loads as the rimless ACP round without the pesky moon clips. At the time I bought a lifetme supply of brass just in case it goes out of production.
Presently I'm shooting a home cast 200 grain SWC over Unique, W231, and Universal. This gun will take hotter loads than a semi-auto.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Look at gun show for "2000 ANNUAL HANDGUNS" published by Guns&Ammo. There is an excellent article about reloading of 45 AR. The load that gets my attention is 255 SWC Lyman #454424 with 14.5 grains of 2400. Velocity is 1137 fps from 6.5" S&W 25-2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi...I've been shooting this .45 Auto Rim for quite a few years. I shoot a S&W 1917 that came back from Argentina. My load is a 230 gr RNL bullet over 4.5 grs of Bullseye. It shoots fairly accurately out to about 25 yds. I use it as a plinking load. I have been thinking about a 200gr SWC load for shooting small animals like groundhogs. Any suggestions as to what might make a good load considering that the M1917 isn't a particularly strong gun? I don't trust so-called "firewall" loads. Besides,I have other revolvers for heavy loads. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
375supermag

I spent yesterday out at the range burning a few hundred rounds of 45 auto rim.
I cast all of my own bullets for my handguns. I was shooting 200 grain H&G 68 clone and a little button of a bullet weighing 195 grains. I used the same powder charge for both, 4.5 grains of Bullseye, Winchester primers. I used Redding dies with their Pro Crimp which a sort of taper/roll crimp.
Both loads shot to the same point of aim at 25 yards. The bullets went in the same hole except when I pulled them.
I had an pistol instructor who told me that he had never come across a 45 auto or 45 auto rim that would not shoot 4.5 grains of Bullseye or 231 accurately, with most and bullet of that caliber.
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts