Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have collected old ammo boxes accidentally by buying ammo and sticking it back in the shop somewhere and forgetting about it. Recently I cleaned up the shop because I am trying to get my stuff ready for me to die. So I gave the shop a REAL cleaning and gave all of the old ammo to a younger man who just got into hand loading a couple of years ago. I helped him build a real nice, almost too nice, reloading room in his basement. He has really nice glass door cabinets in it and ha displays the old ammo in them. He also has old guns and knives there too and it really makes for a nice reloading/gun room. I also gave him a drill press, a grinder and a separate buffer because he wants to start making knives. Funny how time gets away. Some of that ammo hasn't.t been made in 40 or 50 years. Seems like only last week I stuck it back there in the shop and then somehow, stuck something in front of it so I couldn't see it. Outta sight and outta mind, so I bought some more and did the same thing with it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, as we roll into our "elder years" you find a lot of interesting stuff you stashed away back then and suddenly realize 40-50 years had gone by! You are lucky to find a younger fellow with similar interests to give him a head start into our great hobby...

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I just purchased five full boxes, on another forum, of .22 Hornet ammunition, (4-Super-X & 1-Remington) all were made in the late 1940's to around the middle 1950's. All five were in excellent shape and also the ammo.

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Empty 22 boxes have to be pretty rare. Full ones are usually dark from the bullet lube soaking through the cardboard. I know a guy that has full boxes and some cartons of .22 ammo from the late 1890s forward. I'll ask him about duplicates.
I met Lucky McDaniel in 1960. He had a wooden case of W-W .22 ammo in the back of his station wagon but I suspect it was from an earlier time and he just kept it restocked.

Yeah, as we roll into our "elder years" you find a lot of interesting stuff you stashed away back then and suddenly realize 40-50 years had gone by!
I've told my friends that I'm going to clean house next spring. Everybody bring a trailer.

·
Registered
810 Posts
"old" ?????

You'll have to tell me what you mean by "old". My youngest kids are in their 30's and I'm sure there are boxes of .22 shells on our shelf that I bought before they were born. If I knew the age and brand you want I can save the boxes for you when we shoot them. Jack in Oregon

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have collected old ammo boxes accidentally by buying ammo and sticking it back in the shop somewhere and forgetting about it. Recently I cleaned up the shop because I am trying to get my stuff ready for me to die. So I gave the shop a REAL cleaning and gave all of the old ammo to a younger man who just got into hand loading a couple of years ago. I helped him build a real nice, almost too nice, reloading room in his basement. He has really nice glass door cabinets in it and ha displays the old ammo in them. He also has old guns and knives there too and it really makes for a nice reloading/gun room. I also gave him a drill press, a grinder and a separate buffer because he wants to start making knives. Funny how time gets away. Some of that ammo hasn't.t been made in 40 or 50 years. Seems like only last week I stuck it back there in the shop and then somehow, stuck something in front of it so I couldn't see it. Outta sight and outta mind, so I bought some more and did the same thing with it.
Boy that is a nice Britt in your avatar! :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've got a wooden Winchester box with a full un-opened brick of .22LR It's Old but how old I don't know

Ol Deuce

·
Registered
20 Posts
i just got a small yellow Super X box with 3 rounds left in it. Never seen this before....22 short black powder blanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
i just got a small yellow Super X box with 3 rounds left in it. Never seen this before....22 short black powder blanks
ZONER......those 22 blanks are loud!!! LoL I use them to test firing pins in my 22s I have a full
box of them Super X !! Ol Deuce

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I have nice collection of them that are all full, never checked to see what there worth, someone would have to give me a good bit for them to removed from the top of a gun cabinet display.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've got four plus box's of Remington Kleanbore high speed 22 short's in the original box's they came in. That's the 50rd count box's and the brick box. Don't use them a lot but might have an MTY box around somewhere if you want it. Nope, don't have an MTY. Try to remember when one get's MTY.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts