Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded a 10-22 for it. The eroded wood around the receiver bothers me most. It feeds a little sluggish but it's very accurate with subsonics in the backyard. I think a clean & lube will cure the feeding. It's had a scope mounted on the barrel at some point.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The buttstock looks to have been sanded badly by a ham handed previous owner, also the reciever isnt assembled completely as you can see a gap where the two pieces of the reciever meet. This being said it is ten times the gun a 10-22 is in my opinion. A new buttstock can be purchased from the factory or on EBAY. Figure out why it is sluggish by disassembleing the action and giving it a good cleaning, then tighten down the two reciever halves. These guns were built to last multiple lifetimes and even though this has seen some abuse it is still a quality rifle. Enjoy its little bumps and bruises and sit around a campfire and wonder where it has been and what it has done to get them.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Maybe when the receiver is assembled properly the fit of stock to receiver will be fixed, as well? All in all, that is a beautiful gun and I'm sure it could tell some amazing stories of days gone by.

·
Registered
72 Posts
broom

you did good real good i love the 39 my gunsmith buddy is a wiz on the 39s he collects them. they will out shoot the 1022 love mine . the wood is a non issue. the marlin is a take down is easy to clean need any thing pm me

·
Banned
421 Posts
You did great! It sure is worth 10 X what the 10-22 is. Numrich and Midway sometimes have stocks for reasonable prices. It's the same as a 336 stock. I would take it apart and clean it and find out why the receiver halves are not tight. Is the take down screw loose? To take it apart, keep the lever closed, and cock the hammer. Back the screw out, and tap the gun on your knee to separate. Obviously, make sure it's unloaded before you do!
I own 10 of these in different years and configurations, and they are the best 22 ever made IMO. Please let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After much soaking in CRC & WD-40 and tapping with a hammer handle I was finally able to break it down. There was a ton of crud in there. I cleaned it real good and lubed it with Mil-Spec gun oil. I goes completely back together now and seems to function better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
39 a

im glad you got it apart been under the weather and id talk to my gun smith buddy he said to put in half cock un screw the hold to gather screw put between you right and left leg and give a good smack with pale of your hand. so i guess you did about the same thing hope all will cleanup and be a good shooter for ya. :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took it to the range yesterday and I was able to pick off small pieces of clay pigeon on the 25 yard berm really easy. I can't shoot very well without a scope so I felt good. It did hang up one time but I was able to fix it. I want to find a better butt stock for her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts