Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this fits here, but I haven't found the right spot by looking around.

Way back in the old days, I was in the military, we ran in combat boots on pavement, I developed some stress fractures in my feet, but I sucked it up and didn't complain. I hear these days the recruits and trainees get to wear more appropriate things on their feet.

Then I went thru jump school and did jump on a regular basis to keep up my qualifications and the extra pay. But I had what is now called hyper extension of my toes and my ankles.

So about 5 years ago, I started to have pain in my feet, the doctor said it was arthritis noting the damage on my X Rays. Then my left foot started to clinch up.

On March 3rd I am having surgery to correct the clinching, which means I can't coyote hunt for 6 weeks. The surgeon will correct the position of two toes and correct some tendons. I did call the VA and they said that I would have to wait maybe a year or more to see the foot doctor, so I am paying for this myself. I did get a second opinion and even my family doctor (Former active military surgeon and still an army reserve doctor) agreed with what needs to be done.

This is same day procedure, which is fine with me. The doctor said I will have to stay off my feed for 4 to 5 days and then use crutches for absolutely necessary movement for a couple of weeks. I am thinking about moving the 40 inch flat screen into the bathroom and maybe the frig.

I need to get this done before planting season and be able to do my farming, so I have food and some extra income for my reloading then maybe a new rifle this fall if the harvest is good.

Just thought I would let everyone know.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Banned
397 Posts
Good luck to you Jerry. Hope the operation is successful
and you come away from it O.K. Anyone that was hurt in
the line of duty deserves anything they can get, and they
usually get all too little for their sacrifice.

Zeke

·
Banned
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zeke,

Thank you.

Jerry

·
Registered
720 Posts
Jerry,
Thank you for your service to our country. My dad was drafted and sent to Vietnam and because of that he would not let the recruiters get near me. He is now 66 years old and has been receiving 100% service connected disability and in a wheelchair since 2003 or 2004 from diabetes which was caused by his exposure to Agent Orange. About 3 years ago, he needed cataracts removed from both eyes, but it took the VA a year to finally get around to doing it. By then, his eyes were bad enough that he was not able to see any better after the surgery. The Dr. started him on some eye drops and last Christmas he was finally able to see good enough to read christmas cards if the writing was large enough, but he still cannot read newsprint. Our military personnel are willing to give everything for our country, but if they need anything, the country just craps on them! Hope your surgery goes well for you and you are able to get back to farming and hunting and enjoying life ASAP.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bless you brother for your good service to our country.
My prayer is for your success and that of your family. Hope you will be back on your feet soon after the procedure.
Pray for peace.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you one and all. I wasn't sure if this was the right venue, the cause was from the military and my solution because there is the lack of the VA services.

Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts