Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, newbie here and just getting started using the forum. Not really a collector
but do love to shoot and have done so since I was 7yrs old.
On to the reason for my post (2 actually). I have a box of unopened BLANKS from the Frankford Arsenal. Dark blue label, black lettering, marked as follows;

20 cartridges
Blank
caliber .30 M1909
for rifles and automatic guns
Ammunition Lot F.A. 147
Frankford Arsenal

By the lot #, can they be identified as to age or when manufactured?
Is it safe to assume these are 30-06 cartridges (unopened)?

2nd box Manufactured by Winchester in a sealed box of 20 marked as follows;

.30 ARMY FULL PATCH
(picturer of cartridge)
For Krag Jorgensen and Winchester Model 95 Repeating Arms
Box has red W on both side panels

Again, any clue to how old and are these "collectable? No lot # on this one and I'm not going to open it to look for cartridge info (30-40 Krag)

Thanks all. Next I have to figure on posting photos:eek:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Photos would be a great help. Go to photobucket and open an account then download from you computer. Then copy and paste here.

Your blanks (1st box) are 30-06 and they are the M1909 blank which is very common. Usually headstamps date cartridges like this but not with blanks as reloads and seconds were often used. I don't know how to date thru the lot # but I believe these were probably made before 1920.

The 2nd box is 30-40 Krag (hence .30 Army). Is there any other info on the box, regarding bullet weight or such? The full paper patch indicates early, perhaps turn of the century or so, but you give little to go on as to dateing.

The .30 Army may be the most desireable of the 2 but neither will be very valuable in my opinion. (Value is relative term) Almost anything is collectable if you find someone who collects it and these are both popular calibers among collectors but you just have to find the right market.

Post pictures and I'll look further if you like.
You can also try www.cartridgecollectors.org , the forum page, but pictures will be nearly essential. You will have to join this forum site first to post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
Additional info on 30-40 Winchester box;
220 grain
Full patch
Bullets
I'll get on the photobucket thing today. I didnt want to open the box as I thought it would devalue anything collectible.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I could not open your link to the photos and tried searching photobucket without success.:(

I'm going to forward what you've given me to an expert in the .30 Army and we'll see what he knows.;)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Thanks for the pics. It's about 1930's vintage (the 30-40) and worth something like $30 per box. It's also fairly common, of the earlier loadings. Some has been offered on GB for rediculously high prices but I doubt any has sold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info O'Connersun! This site is fantastic. I've been browsing for hours and doing searches
for everything I own. A lot of knowledge here and very interesting.
Keep up the good work everyone.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
old ammo

Mike
I have two boxes of Winchester 30 Army ,There is no flap on the boxes;they have a removable top.there is a number in each;
2656 and 2657 Probably lot numbers
FTI they are marked "Full Patch" (FMJ),not "full Paper Patch"
Frank

·
Registered
510 Posts
Frank,

I'm speaking of the two piece boxes. On the end where the lot number is located there should be two numbers on the right side. The lot number in on the left, the date code to the right. What color are labels on your boxes?

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
old ammo

Mike,
Thanks to you,I looked at the boxes again.
There is a number on the very top of the box;on the lower right side.
Box #2656 is tan in color,with black writing. The date is 8.30. Would that be August 1930?
Thwe other box is buff colored,with purple label on one side and the top.
This date is 11.15
Frank

·
Registered
510 Posts
Bingo, Frank. Winchester always dated their ammo. I have 1886 boxes dating back to the 1890s and the date codes are in the same location.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts