Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an old rim fire cartridge that has S.A.W. stamped on the head--rim diameter .463--rim thickness .065---brass length 1.152---oval 1.598--bullet diameter .500 plus----looks very much like a 56-50 Spencer or 56-56 Spencer---thought maybe someone here might have an idea as to it's origin!
Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
That is most likely a 56-50 Spencer from Sage Ammunition Works, However, your rim diameter is way off. It should be more like .640".

·
Registered
716 Posts
check the dimensions in Cartridges of the World=there is a chart in there. I had to look an old case up one time. Ironically, it was also a Spencer.

·
Registered
460 Posts
COTW is a good source of information for a lot of things, but it does contain errors. You have to double check everything that you find in it.

Actual, real-world, dimensions for the old rimfires can vary quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer. This is especially true for the big ones, such as the Spencers. The dimensions listed in COTW are taken from a specimen or two and you may find other cartridges with differeing dimensions, even though they may be called the same thing.

·
Registered
716 Posts
COTW is a good source of information for a lot of things, but it does contain errors. You have to double check everything that you find in it.

Actual, real-world, dimensions for the old rimfires can vary quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer. This is especially true for the big ones, such as the Spencers. The dimensions listed in COTW are taken from a specimen or two and you may find other cartridges with differeing dimensions, even though they may be called the same thing.
Many gun makers would refuse to name anything after a competitor. Others would make a gun for a particular load (i.e. 44-40 Marlin vs 44-40 Winchester). COTW does require you read the text, also.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Many gun makers would refuse to name anything after a competitor. Others would make a gun for a particular load (i.e. 44-40 Marlin vs 44-40 Winchester). COTW does require you read the text, also.
:confused::confused:

The .44-40 Marlin was actually a different cartridge than the .44WCF. It was loaded with a heavier bullet, as was the .44 CLMR.

·
Registered
3 Posts
S.A.W. Headstamp 56-50

Just a little interesting info, the S.A.W. headstamp on the 56-50 was made in 3 sizes! It took me a few years but I managed to find all 3 sizes. The small and the large sizes are fairly common , its the one in the middle that ya cant hardly find! Just thought this would be interesting to some of you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts