Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Newb to the forum. I'm registered with Firearmsforum.com aswell, just wanted to
see what this forum is all about! I recently got an old muzzle loader I thought was a junker,
and it turned out to be quite nice. The lock is old, maybe in the 1850's, English made. I just
recently refinished it. I still have alot of work to do. Let me know what you guys think of the
restoration, any pointers are always welcome. I am trying to get the stain alot darker and
still keep the vintage look. The barrel looks nice after a polish and rust remove. I dont know
wether to paint it or not. The brass shined up like new with some compound I had laying
around. Anyone who is into refinishing guns let me know what you think, or maybe some
pointers! Thanks, hope you enjoy

http://s212.photobucket.com/home/lowsonoma21

Thats the URL to my photos for the gun. i have about 100 pics so it's detailed. I have pics
from when I first got it, it has the oraneish stain to it, and then the dissasembly, and
refinish.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,269 Posts
Nice work. That sure is some pretty grain in the stock. Welcome.....

·
Registered
766 Posts
I like the rifle.:)

I would have tried to restore it rather than refinish it but don't know much about that. The patina antiques accuire over time is part of the price you paid I would think. The brass sure is shiney though.:rolleyes:

I would ask someone with knowledge of restoring whether or not to blue/brown the barrel.
It needs protection. I suppose you could artifically age the parts. Regardless, it is a nice looking gun. I like it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts