Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Morning,

I inherited several cans of old IMR powders in the metal cans and well stored over the years. I would say they are from the early 90s. They are 4895, 4064, and 3031.

I used up and made some 7.62 150gr match ammo with the 4895 and 4064 and served me quite well from my old recipes I have from earlier days.

As for the 3031 I opened up both cans and like the 4895 and 4064 has a clean chemical smell, and the extrusion is the same shiny dark silver color like the 4895/4064. I dumped a good portion of the powder onto a white sheet of paper to inspect and look for browning/rust color and found a consistent dark silver color except for small traces of extrusions were snow white. Very few but in about the 1/3 of lbs I dumped on the paper I found about 6-8 snow white extrusions.

I never used 3031 before. Mostly 4895 is what I used back in the day, and most likely I plan to use this to make some 5.56. I believe the powder is still good and want to use it up soon being I opened it up and exposed heavily.

Sorry to cut to chase, does anyone know what the white extrusions are?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,218 Posts
I just checked "Propellant Profiles" (two articles) and no mention of the white grains is made, but I've seen it before. Now, I don't know if that's normal or not. I have a full and a partial can from the mid '70s that don't have them. I do have a can of 4064 that has an occasional bright blue kernel. Could it be they put in a 'tracer' at one time. I'll defer to the powder experts.
If its dark and shiny and smells like ether, I shoot it without worry. When it goes bad its dusty and reddish. Great fertilizer!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you JBelk.

It is exactly as you described. Clean chemical smell, and nice color.

As I stated before, I never used 3031 before. I know it makes a good 5.56 round and probably will use it for some ammo for shorter static matches 200yds or less.

I switched to Varget, 2230, TAC and still use 4895 but the newer stuff.

I know their is a retardant coating on rifle powders to some sort. More of curiosity of the white extrudants. But you always want 110% of mind when coming across an acquired powder.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,453 Posts
Never noticed white kernels in 3031 before, but then it never lasted long enough (in .222's) to warrant a look into "old age".

If it has no "foul" odor, rusty dust or coloration it should be fine. There are however better overall powders for the .223 (and 222's) than IMR3031, even better than 4895, 4198 and Varget.

RJ

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I just looked through samples from several 3031 containers I have of various ages and see no white extrusions. As JBelk said, if it is dark and shiny with the correct appearance, smells fine, no clumping or reddish powder then i would shoot it up.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I have a couple cans shaped as described, oldest from my early reloading days mid 60s. I could check about any white stuff. About 18 yrs ago I inherited another can. I assume it is about 20 yrs old.
I havent used but very little 3031 in the past many yrs. Tried some in my 25/45 Sharps. Shot but not spectacular.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, for the info. I am not using for match grade ammo, as long as it gets 200 yards with < 3" group it is all I need it to do. I burn through a ton of ammo in ARC matches where time is more critical than accuracy and is all done at 100yds or less. I got two pound of free powder, I hate to see anything go to waste especially if it practically used anywhere else.

Match grade I use AA2230, 4895, TAC depending on the bullet weight. Otherwise I would use 2230 or Varget over the 3031 which I probably will never use again after I burn up this lot.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have 3 pounds of IMR-4064 from the mid 80's. I use it primarily in my 22-250. They still have the price tag on the cans, $8.10!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've never seen white kernals in 3031 either and I've used lots of it in the past...? Live and learn. But I quit using it because it meters like gravel through my uniflow powder measure.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I've never seen white kernals in 3031 either and I've used lots of it in the past...? Live and learn. But I quit using it because it meters like gravel through my uniflow powder measure.
Doesn't meter well for me but I keep several pounds on hand anyways as it's so versatile.

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Ajn1963,

I suggest you call Hodgdon, the IMR distributor, and just ask them. (913) 362-9455. Since none of us have seen white grains before, you want to be sure the can didn't have another poweder that doesn't belong put into it. Hodgdon may be familiar with the white grain phenomenon, anyway.

Reactions: Mecanik

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
In y old 308's there were a number of powder's that seemed to work equally well. One of them was IMR 3031. My experience with it is you can't go wrong with it.

1990 to 2020 i only 30 yrs, not 60!

·
Premium Member
14,218 Posts
IMR 3031 is one of the grandaddys and considered the American stick cordite. The Brit's 'nitro' cartridges (are said to) all shoot 3031 to same POI is stick cordite factory loads.
I have not tried them all and I've only HEARD it's true. It is scary pouring a bunch of fast powder (by modern standards) in a big case, but they DO work.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
So 3031 is known to have these white extrusions?
Never seen it like that and be advised 3031 is temp sensitive. It's why I don't use it. I have 4895 dating back to the DuPont era, then pre 76 4895, than post 76 4895 when they changed the mixture. I normally go H4895 instead of post 77 IMR because the performance is more consistent.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts