Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of older marlin rifles that I need some info on. Both are 30.30 win. One is 336rc #E 39xxx.It is very good condition--I got my first buck with it. It has a rubber recoil pad that I don't think is original. I'm thinking about trading it for a carry pistol. What is the approx value of the rifle ?
The other is a model 1893 #D 5xxx. It is in good shooting condition--I've also shot several deer with it. It has a straight grip and an octogon barrel. It also has a red rubber recoil pad with the word "RANGER" on it. I'm pretty sure that is not original--Any idea of it's approx value ?

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I have a couple of older marlin rifles that I need some info on. Both are 30.30 win. One is 336rc #E 39xxx.It is very good condition--I got my first buck with it. It has a rubber recoil pad that I don't think is original. I'm thinking about trading it for a carry pistol. What is the approx value of the rifle ?
The other is a model 1893 #D 5xxx. It is in good shooting condition--I've also shot several deer with it. It has a straight grip and an octogon barrel. It also has a red rubber recoil pad with the word "RANGER" on it. I'm pretty sure that is not original--Any idea of it's approx value ?
It looks like your "E" code marlin 336rc was made in 1948. I believe this was also the 1st year of production for this rifle known as the 336 model. Previous models were labeled M36 or M1936. Condition and how original the rifle remains would have much to do with it's value, however.

As for your m1993 (made 1893-1934), I'm afraid I see no information on a "D" code ("D" refers to 1947). Perhaps it is a repro made somewhere along the line?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 1893 is an original--I'm pretty sure of that. My dad got it right after he got back from Europe after WW2. It had a tang mounted peep sight at one time ,but that got lost between owners (3 of them). I was able to track it down after I got out of the army and bought it back from the last guy. He thought that the "D" stood for "Deluxe",but couldn't find any more info because Marlin had a fire way back when and lost a bunch of records. I don' t know any more than that about the history of it.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Back around WW 1, Marlin used A, B, C and D codes. With no factory records from those years, it's hard to put an exact date on them. From what I understand of them, 1918 to 1922. But the guys over at the Marlin Collector's forum should be able to get it a bit closer for you.

As for value, without actually seeing the gun, it's very difficult to place a value on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
44-40 is right. The A B C and D prefix guns were made up of a stockpile of parts so as not to go to waste. I believe the last of the D prefix can be as late as 1917 although I could be off by a few. My 1893 is a D200. BTW the recoil pad is not original as they came with a s shape or cresent metal butt plate.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The 1893 is an original--I'm pretty sure of that. My dad got it right after he got back from Europe after WW2.
Something doesn't fit here and I'm not sure what it is. From what you wrote ("original") I infer your dad bought it new -- right after he got home from WW2 -- but the rifle would have been made right after the Great War, a generation earlier.

Just a thought -- for you Marlin experts: Did Marlin label any of the Model 336 rifles they made for others (Sears Roebuck, Montgomery-Ward, Western Auto, etc.) as MODEL 1893? I can't think of anything else to explain the timing discrepancy.

The Old Guy

·
Banned
87 Posts
The store brands were usually labeled with whatever model number the store wanted it to be. Never heard of a store brand 1893.

There's no doubt in my mind that this gun marked as a 1893 with that serial number was made before 1922. It'll be a square bolt which was discontinued in the medium action length when the 336 came out in 1948.

·
Registered
2 Posts
marlin 336 rc swivel mount on stock

i have owned a few marlin model 336 rc and i read a lot of statemants saying not to touch the bulls eye on stock, but i have talked to gunsmiths and they conclude the bulls eye is where you are supposed to put your swivel, so all this about telling people not to touch it, its a way for them to tell you where to put your strap swivel, plain and simple

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,312 Posts
This thread died 6 years ago, and no one said anything about a "bullseye".....:confused:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Were those "gunsmiths" named "BUBBA"!??

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

To put the last shovelful of dirt onto this thread.......... :p

(FWIW)

Original Marlin Model 1893 serial numbering quit around SN 450,000 (approx 1913).

Letter designations used on 1893 SN's during the following period were A, B, C, & D.

The letter designation goes from 1913 to about the 1917 WWI period. (roughly, A=1914, B=1915, C=1916, D=1917)

Note: some Model 1893s were made after WWI when production of the Model 93 started, apparently made up from left over Model 1893 (labelled) parts.

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Early Marlins had the very best color case hardening of any American made gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts