Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone, familiar with antique firearms, might recognize and be able to tell me something about this primer box. It is thin brass, compression fitting top and is quite worn. I found this in my grandfathers things after he passed. He had some items from his grandfather who was in the Civil War and I am wondering if this could be one of those items. You can see the outline of an image or label that use to be on the top, very vaguely.

If it looks familiar, or you might could give an opion, please let me know.

Thanks !

[email protected]

·
Registered
36 Posts
If the caps setting there came out of it ,its a percussion cap container .There still made and most still out of tin .Civil war rifles would use a musket cap which was alot bigger than those caps .Arnie

·
Registered
254 Posts
I looked at my tiny collection of vintage percussion cap boxes. None of them were made of brass, all are steel.
Prominent across the middle of each cap box is: CENTRAL FIRE
That may be what that word inside a cartouche is, across the center of your lid.
GOLDMARK was a popular manufacturer of percussion caps, as were HAZARD, REMINGTON, UMC, UNION METALLIC, WINCHESTER, ELEY and many others I can't recall.
The rounded shape above the cartouche is interesting. At least, it appears to be a small, half-round in your photo.
I did a quick search on Google. Remember, you can also search images on Google. I used that, but didn't spot a percussion tin resembling yours.
I haven't seen a whole lot of vintage percussion cap tins, but all I've seen were made of tin or steel. Never seen a brass one. This makes me wonder if that tin isn't out of a cased set for a revolver.
Perhaps someone else will have an answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts