Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a old Smith revolver by my grandpa a few years ago. It's just sat in the holster but I wanted to see about a value and if it's not too high then do what guns are made to do - shoot it.

The markings I see are a S&W TradeMark stamp, Smith and Wesson on the side of the barrel, Smith and Wesson Springfield, Mass. USA Patented Feb. 6. 06. Sept 14. 09. Dec 2?. 14. on top of the barrel, 32 WCF CTG on the other side of the barrel, also stamped Made in USA again.

Serial 109XXX

Can y'all tell me anything about it or point me somewhere to learn about it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I've come up with is it's a .32 Winchester Center Fire aka .32-20 due to the charge of 20 grains of black powder. Cylinder matches the SN on the butt. Wood, likely walnut grips. Still no idea on what to call it to search for a value.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
this will give you an over view:
http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/st_smithmp_200809/#cont

Have owned a couple and looked over several, not nearly as common as the .38special version, but basically the same gun, Different variations that are important for the parts that are inside, but the basic gun stayed the same throughout it's lifetime (in .38 special, it later became know as the "mod. 10" once S&W stopped using names and went to a numbering system...kind of a shame really, names had so much more character).

Anyway, it's not listed as one of the guns best used for hot loading the 32-20 (any more than the old .38's should be asked for +p+ use). For whatever reason, have found a disproportionate number of them with bulged or "rung" barrels (rings where an obstruction was shot out). Not sure why that is, could just be my luck in the small sample I've seen, as the 32-20 isn't any more prone to a squib firing than other rounds.

·
Registered
825 Posts
This is a quote from the S&W forum "32-20 Hand Ejector Model of 1905- 4th Change. It was manufactured from around 1915-1940 and around 78,983 of them were produced"

They are neat guns, most of them got used a lot, more so than the .38 SPLs, from what I understand.

Remington and Winchester both loaded 32-20 ammunition for use in the Winchester 92 and Marlin 1894s. The ammo is labeled not for use in revolvers, don't shoot it in your S&W.

If the barrel and cylinder are OK, it should be pretty accurate, and reasonable loads with cast bullets will fine to shoot in it.

Andy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Current loads for the 32 wcf or 32-20 loaded today are lower pressure safe in revolvers or early rifles such as the Winchester model 1873. The high velocity loads mentioned above haven't been manufactured since the early 50's. The current "cowboy loads " with cast lead bullets are easy on barrels. Just don't shoot loose or old ammo from an unknown source. Sounds like a neat old revolver to use as it was intended for and as a tribute to Grandpa.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.