Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Simon,

Welcome to the forum! Rules are simple: Be nice and join in!

Looks like you and your boy picked a COLD day to do a little squirrel huntin', but I bet he had fun, anyway. Kudos to you for introducing him to a life in the outdoors.

·
Banned
502 Posts
I got one of them fat squirrels this morning, I think they may be young skinny ground hogs, not sure. A 308 does a lot of damage at 30 yards.

Jerry

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
Depends on the state, but I doubt if shooting a groundhog with a .308 is against the law in Ohio.... or anywhere.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I had the same question/concern. If it was a ground hog, no problem, but the thread was about tree squirrels, so you can see how we might easily be confused and think that Jerry was poaching a game animal out of season. I don't think many experienced hunters would confuse a squirrel for a groundhog, especially at 30 yards with what is almost certainly a scoped .308 rifle. Hopefully this is a case of poor communication and not one of our members taking game out of season or being guilty of wanton waste of edible game.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Huh. I never thought of squirrels as edible game. Aren't they a little small to eat?

Well, I guess it's just one of those things - I'm not from around there so I wouldn't know. *shrugs*

I'll have to check my local laws and see what they are considered here.

·
Banned
502 Posts
The Marmet that I shot was a G'Hog, now Rufus has tasted the meat of a wild animal and he wants more.

Jerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts