Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71' Marlin .444 that I just found out has microgroove rifling.I Used 265 grain ammo last year hunting and really missed my mark even though I thought I hit it.I have recently heard that the microgroove barrels are designed for only 240 grain bullets,is this true?Could that 265 grain bullet have made me miss so bad?I am a pretty good shot so I was shocked when I made a gutshot when I was sure I made a vital shot.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The 1-38 Micro-groove will shoot most 265gr Jacketed bullets excellent, But! the new Bullet in the Lever evolution ammo, you know the Gummy Bear Bullet, is hit or miss, some has good luck with them, some don't.

There are a few companies like Georgia Arms and Wisconsin cartridge company who sell ammo that is loaded with Speers 270gr Gold Dot bullet, IMHO thats about as good as it gets in the 444 for any Whitetail, plus thats about as accurate bullet I have shot in the T4.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,751 Posts
It should be fine with those bullets as far as accuracy goes. The cut-off seems to be between 300 and 335 grains, depending on the bullet length and individual gun.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you were using Hornady Leverevolution ammo, the type with red, pointy, plastic tips,
it says right on the box,
"265 gr Evolution For 20" twist & faster"
The microgroove on your rifle is a 1 in 38" twist, so, slower.
Acording to Hornady's warning, your gun (and mine, a 1965 model) shouldn't
shoot them well. Mine will regularly put 3 shots in less than 2" at 100 yards,
so I'm not going to complain. Your's might not do so well.
How well did it shoot when you sighted it in?
Was it shooting tight groups, or shotgun-like patterns?

If it doesn't like the Hornadys, Remington sells a 240 gr flat point that, from
what I understand, is a very good alternative.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I haven't shot the 265 Flex Tips, but the flat points shoot pretty well in mine. The 1-38s (like mine) will usually shoot within 7" groups even up to the mighty 405 grain. Even the 335s will still shoot under 5", well into the vital zone on a deer at 100 yards.

I loaded up a bunch of 300 grainers today that I'll run out and test tomorrow. They should shoot pretty well I think.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you were using Hornady Leverevolution ammo, the type with red, pointy, plastic tips,
it says right on the box,
"265 gr Evolution For 20" twist & faster"
The microgroove on your rifle is a 1 in 38" twist, so, slower.
Acording to Hornady's warning, your gun (and mine, a 1965 model) shouldn't
shoot them well. Mine will regularly put 3 shots in less than 2" at 100 yards,
so I'm not going to complain. Your's might not do so well.
How well did it shoot when you sighted it in?
Was it shooting tight groups, or shotgun-like patterns?

If it doesn't like the Hornadys, Remington sells a 240 gr flat point that, from
what I understand, is a very good alternative.
Oh wow,it does say 1-20" & faster on the box.Forgive my ignorance because I am young,but does 1-20" mean the projectile spins one time for every 20 inches of barrel?And a 1-38" means it's slower and would require a 38" barrel for a full spin and with a 22" old 444 I am getting just over a half of spin as it leaves the barrel?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
My 1967 Model 444 used to be very accurate with Hornady 265gr JSP's - But I've never had a chance to run any LeverEvolution's through a .444

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,751 Posts
Oh wow,it does say 1-20" & faster on the box.Forgive my ignorance because I am young,but does 1-20" mean the projectile spins one time for every 20 inches of barrel?And a 1-38" means it's slower and would require a 38" barrel for a full spin and with a 22" old 444 I am getting just over a half of spin as it leaves the barrel?
You got it. I'm surprised that Matt got the 405s to shoot but hey you never know. I got large groups, with some oblong bullet holes, with 335gr. bullets.

On the other hand I have a .22-250 that shouldn't be accurate with some bullets that I have.... but it is. Sometimes you just have to try.

If you want to isolate the length of the pointy bullets as a variable, just cut the tips off a handful and compare to the other groups you are getting.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I didn't shoot the 405s, that was in Marshall's notes and on Loadswap. I would give a few a try in my gun, but it requires the neck turned and possibly trimmed with a reduced load - not exactly a good recipe for accuracy in my book.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have a 71' Marlin .444 that I just found out has microgroove rifling.I Used 265 grain ammo last year hunting and really missed my mark even though I thought I hit it.I have recently heard that the microgroove barrels are designed for only 240 grain bullets,is this true?Could that 265 grain bullet have made me miss so bad?I am a pretty good shot so I was shocked when I made a gutshot when I was sure I made a vital shot.

What distance are you most commonly shooting ?

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
707 Posts
I usually try to keep shots within 50 yards.
Were you using a scope or irons ? Had they been knocked out of alignment ?

Then , respectfully , I would just use a good 240 grain bullet . I hear that a .44 Mag performs fine on deer at that range with that weight of bullet ?

I think I would have a better than even chance , on a good day , of hitting a deer ( if I could steady it against a tree ) , at 50 yards , with my 8-3/8" S&W M29 .44 Mag ?

I can occasionally hit a steel ram at 200 meters .

God bless
Wyr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts