Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beautiful Marlin 39-A with the heat treated metal for color around the loading port. The serial Number is B 3945 and I'm sure it's at least 60 plus years old. Any idea when it was built and how much it's worth. My Dad taught me how to shoot with this gun back in the early 60's. Would I reduce the value if I polished off some rust spots and sanded the wood stock to remove scratches?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Some oil & 0000 steel wool will remove the rust spots. Be very easy with it. A few drops of linseed oil rubbed into the wood will make it look much better. Please don't refinish it.

·
Banned
421 Posts
dsteck,
Welcome to the forum from another Mainah! I own several Marlin 39A's, and the one thing they all have in common is they are NOT refinished! Don't you dare sand that stock! As someone else said, you should get rid of the rust though. However, I would not use steel wool because it's too easy to go too far with it. Use a chore girl, or any other copper / brass scrubber and a little oil. That will take the rust off and not hurt the bluing. It's worth more the way it is than it will be if you sand the stock or scrub off any of the bluing. Exact value depends so much on condition that nobody could give you a value without actually seeing the gun. Can you post pictures? We may be able to help you more if you can.
Good luck with the old girl! Treat her well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems odd nobody has said 'Howdy' yet. So Howdy. Your rifle is valuable, not only in dollars, but also sentiment. As you suspected, it was made quite awhile ago, I would guess the early Forty's. I'm not a Marlin guy, but do know you own a fine rifle there. You really should not refinish that rifle, just clean it up. They're only original once.
Thanks for your feedback......I've decided to just clean it up and show my daughter, whose 13 to shoot with my Marlin just the way my Dad did for me.....a fine tradition for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts