Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Olin is moving its Winchester plant from the East St. Louis area to Mississippi. The union was worried about management's cost cutting offer that would cut their 401Ks and vacations and freeze wages. Well, no worries now, the jobs themselves are going away. At least they are staying in the US. I feel bad for the workers there, but it is pretty clear they made it easy for the company to pull the trigger. It will hurt the area I know that. No doubt it will help Miss.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Winchesters-Centerfire-iw-2235996390.html?x=0&.v=1

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=225118

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Looks to me like the only lost jobs will be the people that refuse to move with the company... "non-union, lower wage workforce" Its certainly sad that a company refuses to pay its workers fairly.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Looks to me like the only lost jobs will be the people that refuse to move with the company... "non-union, lower wage workforce" Its certainly sad that a company refuses to pay its workers fairly.
How do you know the company refuses to pay its workers fairly? What's "fair"...other than a word that children use all the time? What's so good about paying union dues and having them used to support political candidates that you personally despise? Why's "big business" bad, but "big unions" OK?

Maybe Olin can lower their cost of powder, which benefits us all. And...I bet the cost of living is a lot lower in MS than IL.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
It's business, pure and simple. I am sure that the folks in Miss. will feel they are being very fairly paid. We have automobile assembly folks working in the area who are delighted with a rate of pay and benefits that an old-line Detroit worker wouldn't consider accepting. Of course, they have NO jobs to accept or reject right now.

Sometimes companies find themselves in a situation where they simply cannot afford to keep operating in a certain area. At least they didn't have to go to Mexico to find a place.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
A lot of these plant re-locations have more to do with some states being very restrictive in their business practices while others are more liberal. It's true that union labor is slowly but surely being forced out of this country, but there are some who would argue that a big part of why the US has lost so much of its manufacturing base is because unions have driven labor costs so much higher than other parts of the world.

I'm just glad to see Olin staying in the US, even if they are leaving the rather unfriendly business environment of IL and heading south where they are probably receiving a relatively "warm" welcome. Too many once-proud companies are mere shadows of their former glory...and many of these were made less competitive, in part, by higher labor costs. Just in the world of shooting and reloading, the list is fairly long.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,113 Posts
This board is not set up to argue the pros and cons of labor issues.

If you folks can keep the thread centered on Olin and firearms/ammo, we'll keep the thread open. Otherwise, it will have to be closed.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Leverite - I won't make this a union arguement, but many corporations are reaping massive profits right now yet strangling their employees over a few dollars. My current job is Union, and it is by far the best job I've ever had. I'm very happy to be here, especially given the current situation.

---

Regardless, I see this as an opportunity for MS, IL had plenty of opportunities to save this company. I hope that Olin does well in their new venture.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes in the spirit of a healthy industry, let's hope they do well where ever the plant is. Winchester was the lowest margin part of Olin. With the defense budget due to get trimmed, they have to do what they can to increase efficiency. With OSHA and EPA regs growing into mountains, let's just be glad they stayed in the US.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Can't say what i want to say or the thread will surely be locked! I will just say that i am sure the folks of Mississippi can definitely use the jobs.

·
Banned
103 Posts
people better take what they can get these days.. just be glad they didn t move the factory to mexico or even china.change is constant..those who cant adjust ?
nuff said i guess.

·
Registered
970 Posts
So I assume this is an ammo plant? I wonder if it will allow them to improve their processes/quality? I haven't had any issues with Winchester ammo quality. Just wondering.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Each person, in whatever job they take, makes a decision to accept the wage. If wages drop, the employee has another decision to make. Mississippi will do well on those "unfair wages."

Word on the street is that they are going to re-tool their operations (new equipment) and offer new ammunition using bullet types that are newer and heretofore not used in production ammo. In that sense it may have been, in the long run, cheaper to start over and way cheaper in a non-Union state.

·
24,113 Posts
2nd warning.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Well, only thing I can think of that wont get this locked is that I dont even hope that the cost savings will be passed along to us consumers of components and ammo. That's not the way things are done these days so I do not expect any savings on Olin products. Shooting will never be as inexpensive as it was even with cost cutting measures at the plants.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
You're exactly right, we won't see a dime of savings, it'll all go into the Gov't coffers or corporate pockets...

·
Registered
978 Posts
It would be nice if Winchester used the plant to cheaply produce
new firearms and the state enacted laws to provide no Federal registration needed for any ammo or firearms produced within the state, sold to it's own citizens, eh?

This lowers the cost and guarantees an advantage to the state and OEM of selling more arms locally, at a lower cost. There by creating a more vibrant local economy and giving people an incentive to buy what they might not have. Also, it arms more citizens.

There just might be more going on then just that simple view of moving jobs for only one reason, union labor costs, if they are viewed as a means to strangle the company out of business.

There might be a good 2nd amendment reason behind the move including fortifying the 2nd amendment to ensure the survival of the company, in the long term.

If a state government promises to try to make it easier so every citizen of the state, where your plant is, can buy your product, there by insuring your survival AND appealing to your love of the 2nd amendment, if you owned the company, you might move it too.

Plus, Mississippi is a lot closer to the gulf coat if you want to ship products out of the country. I have not looked at the current and new locations on a map, but, I bet they are within rifle range of the ocean or a port. That would make sense.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Olin doesn't make rifles for Winchester, it only makes brass cases, loaded ammunition, and primers at that facility.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You know first hand they're not paid fairly? Always seems it the demands of the union labor force that puts companies in financial difficulties. Remember, Winchester did this before. Kinda like the sweepers and custodians are worth the $30/hr plus benefits? :rolleyes: Might seem sad, but IMO, what's sad is that people demand more and expect to do less. Well...maybe not sad...greedy oh wait..can't be greed that's one of the seven deadly sins that all the good Christian folks are supposed to abide by. :rolleyes:

·
24,113 Posts
Thread locked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.