Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a new marlin that has a ported barrel and was wondering if anyone has done any reloading for them with plain base cast bullets? If so what was your results as far as accuracy goes? Thanks, James.

·
Banned
57 Posts
not much help

I just cant staand the thought of putting cast bullets through a fine firearm,just my 2 cents.I tried them once and wasnt very impressed with the performance,or the dust.required much more cleanning than I'm used to.maybe you'll have better luck,happy blasting with your new friend!

·
Registered
306 Posts
jfd444, I have a marlin 1895 in 45/70 (22"bbl) that I had my gunsmith port for me, he back bored the bbl to just behind the porting to prevent any lead shavings. ( I cast a 405gr H/P, 405gr rfn, both with plain base, also a 425gr fn cast with a gas check, also have a box (500 count) of 305 cast plain base I shoot. the 305's arnt as hard as the 405's that I cast and still havant had any leading problems. As far as accuracy (when I can shoot stright :D )no problem and no reduction in fps, only prob. is for people next to me from the blast. My porting consists of three slots cut in each side of the bbl. Hope this helps a little.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been loading laser-cast 350grlfp w/30gr IMR3031 in my Marlin .45-70 guide gun with no problem. A bit of smoke around the ports, but I imagine you would have the same with jacketed. As far as any shearing (spray) from the ports, if that is a problem for you, hang a piece of carpet between benches. Better yet, shoot your gun afield instead of at the range. Sean

·
Banned
556 Posts
Re: not much help

1badmagnum said:
I just cant staand the thought of putting cast bullets through a fine firearm,just my 2 cents.I tried them once and wasnt very impressed with the performance,or the dust.required much more cleanning than I'm used to.maybe you'll have better luck,happy blasting with your new friend!
Is this a joke?

·
Registered
572 Posts
JFD...

My Marlin GG has not had a jacketed bullet down the barrel since the first 40 rounds for break in. (and to generate some brass to hold the "good stuff")

My GG is factory ported and while noisy, I am not for certain that the ports are effecting any accuracy with plain based cast bullets. I would think that there is just a bit of gas cutting goin g on as the bullet passes the ports, but it is so minimal that it does not show up in field conditions. IF one was using the big bore for a benchrest target rifle, or for small varmints at long range, perhaps it would be an issue. This is seldom the case. Accuracy with plain based cast bullets is well within acceptable standards for making meat. Powder selection plays a bigger part in cast bullet performance along with proper bullet diameter and quality bullet lube (with proper diameter playing the biggest part in the mix)

Load em up and shoot with confidence.

Scotty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts