Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a new marlin that has a ported barrel and was wondering if anyone has done any reloading for them with plain base cast bullets? If so what was your results as far as accuracy goes? Thanks, James.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All I have ever shot in my 444P are 240, cast, SWC's, over 12 grains of Unique. No scope, just iron sighted, shoots 2" at 50 yards. Probably play around with some different loads soon as the weather warms a little, and we get rid of some snow. I enjoy shooting this rifle more than any of my others.

DW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forgot to mention that over on the Beartooth Bullets site. In the Tech-Note section there is a 3 part article on the 444. Excellent article, tons of info. If you haven't read it already.

DW

·
Registered
513 Posts
Marlin 1895G, ported, 45-70

I've been happy with 340 gr. FN's with a plain base ( Lee mould ), over 48 grains of H4198. I use a peep sight and 51 year old eyes, and am satisfied with the groups I get. I don't shoot much from the bench after bench sighting at 50 yards. Most of my actual practise revolves around shooting off hand at a series of targets set up in the 25 to 75 yard range. That is, filling the magazine and and quickly shooting one shot at each target (blank notebook paper) until I've emptied the gun. Not very scientific, but it's what works for me. Probably you'll get some better advice from someone else. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts