Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a few of minutes ago I watched three adult whitetail does (in a wooded area of my yard) holding their tail straight up and flared as wide as they could. I knew something had them spooked and on the alert, and they were signaling such. I started watching them closely and they kept looking at the wooded area near my backyard garage (about 100 yards from them). All three then suddenly took off running across the neighbor's yard with tails 'on high'. So, I started watching back by the garage and, confirming my suspicion, here comes a coyote from behind the garage, nose to the ground. He's sniffing around the backyard right now looking for 'left overs' that we throw out. He looks a little 'rough' and hungry, but not real mangy. Doubt he's any threat to the adult deer, but a yearling might be at risk. Coyotes are not rare around my house, but it's unusual to see them at 11:00AM. I really enjoy observing nature like that!:)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now is mating season, so they are communicating (yipping) a bunch at night. Now that I think about it, mine that was 'sniffing around' may have been 'interested' in something other than the deer or my leftovers, ya think?!:oops::rolleyes:;):)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hey crookedcreek. . I just yesterday noticed two large does in my yard do the same thing .. I didn't see a or the coyote but there here in herds. . Sounds like a mass killing around here at night .. they raise Cain. . Maybe that's why my trigger finger has been acting up also .. tdoyka. .

i haven't seen them group up in a while, but i know the sounds. there is 2 or 3 'yotes(i think the PA Commision classify as nuisance, but i don't trap, my brother does) here at home. i noticed the tracks in the snow at my place 2 or 3 nites ago. i have them on trail cameras too.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I have game camera set up at one of my customers places outside his barn, too many farm animals around to set a leg hold trap for this coyote that only shows up in the middle of the night a couple of times a week.
I want to put a bullet in him really bad.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have several security cameras around my house, that are normally activated when we are away from the house to cut down on the activations that just have to be erased. Well, a couple of times I've turned, and left them on overnight thinking it would be cool to see what might come up for the 'leftovers' I mentioned earlier. What a pain in the butt, with activation alerts (like an alarm clock!) happening frequently all night long. Coming up on our lower level patio, were coyote, red fox, and sometimes all at the same time, racoons, possums, skunks. The videos were better (in color) when I left the motion detector light on, otherwise the images were IR like a trail cam. Most of the time, the aluminum pans we put the leftovers are licked completely clean as though they were new!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On another one of Kevin's threads (the one on wolves), I posted about the toughness of coyotes and the one I arrow shot in 1976. Here's some photos; The color ones and the wall rug mount are that one. The black and white and the head mount are from one I shot in 1971 with a vintage Win. High Wall in 6mm x 30-30 Ackley Improved with a 75 grain Hornady HP at about 3300 FPS, entered his chest from the front between his shoulders. The rifle shot one was shot in August, with a summer coat. The Arrow shot one was mid-November with a full winter coat.
Plant Grass Tree Hat Grassland

Wood Working animal Branch Organism Tree

Wall Art Tints and shades Climbing Recreation

Carnivore Art Tail Monochrome photography Terrestrial animal

Art Font Painting Wood Visual arts
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Jaw Whiskers

Jaw Carnivore Terrestrial animal Tail Snout

Tooth Jaw Fawn Fang Terrestrial animal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts