Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original Nosler Solid Base was/is an excellent bullet, better than the Ballistic Tip IMHO. I tool a Doe yesterday afternoon and the performance was more like a TSX than a cup & core and that is a good thing. The exit in the hide was not large, yet the internal damage was imense.
The load is Federal factory loads in 180 Nosler Solid Base. 10 shot string averaged 2879 FPS out of my 26" narreled 30-06 the Deer was taken at 100 yards. The Deer was on an angle facing me and I aimed toward the fromt edge of the shoulder towards the neck about 2/3's up from the bottom for a high shoulder shot. The bullet exited toward the back of the rib cage.

Very good bullet performance. I am a TSX fan and to be able to caompare the SB to the TSX in performance is high praise indeed. The BT has a rather large hoolow to allow for the shank of the plastic tip and has alway been a more explosive bullet than the SB

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Not too long ago (within the last year IIRC) Nosler had a bunch of solid bases for sale in a couple of different calibers. I remember thinking I should buy some because I've heard some good things about them and when they went to the BT, they became a little too explosive and had to thicken the jacket. It's too bad they don't still produce them.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Like Core-Lokts and also the the discontinued Nosler solid base bullets. When I am in the field and on two occasions I needed some bullets for my rifles because I forgot mine, I always went and bought Remington ammo with the Core-Lokts. They always did the job.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,657 Posts
Not too long ago (within the last year IIRC) Nosler had a bunch of solid bases for sale in a couple of different calibers. I remember thinking I should buy some because I've heard some good things about them and when they went to the BT, they became a little too explosive and had to thicken the jacket. It's too bad they don't still produce them.
Dang, post that if it comes up again!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
After what I did to a deer's front end Saturday, I am just about done with cup and cores in the field. With no more shooting than you do at actual game (typically two or three shots a year at two or three animals), I can afford good bondeds or partitions. I might have to get into Barnes someday. I hear great things about the SBs too, never see'em anymore though.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
After what I did to a deer's front end Saturday, I am just about done with cup and cores in the field. With no more shooting than you do at actual game (typically two or three shots a year at two or three animals), I can afford good bondeds or partitions. I might have to get into Barnes someday. I hear great things about the SBs too, never see'em anymore though.
I'v always thought NP's were cup-and-core bullets, if theyre not then my favorite is a corelokt.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I saw the title of the thread and was all ready to add the Nosler Solid Base to whatever other bullet was mentioned. Imagine my pleasant surprise!

Nothing but dittos from me. That was a TRULY superb bullet.

One Nosler insider told me that it was their own descriptions of the bullets that caused so much confusion among shooters. In their writeup of "How To Choose Which Bullet" they described the Ballistic Tip, the Solid Base and the Partition all as "highly recommended for deer." At the time, the Ballistic Tip wasn't. It did have a thinner jacket and did expand too much for deer. But it was also MUCH more popular than the Solid Base. So rather than cancel the BT, they made it in two versions with different jackets. In essence, they put a plastic nose in the Solid Base and made that their "big game" Ballistic Tip. Thinking they had that base now covered, they discontinued the SB.

But there are those of us who think there was a noticeable difference, and still prefer the softpointed version.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I saw the title of the thread and was all ready to add the Nosler Solid Base to whatever other bullet was mentioned. Imagine my pleasant surprise!

Nothing but dittos from me. That was a TRULY superb bullet.

One Nosler insider told me that it was their own descriptions of the bullets that caused so much confusion among shooters. In their writeup of "How To Choose Which Bullet" they described the Ballistic Tip, the Solid Base and the Partition all as "highly recommended for deer." At the time, the Ballistic Tip wasn't. It did have a thinner jacket and did expand too much for deer. But it was also MUCH more popular than the Solid Base. So rather than cancel the BT, they made it in two versions with different jackets. In essence, they put a plastic nose in the Solid Base and made that their "big game" Ballistic Tip. Thinking they had that base now covered, they discontinued the SB.

But there are those of us who think there was a noticeable difference, and still prefer the softpointed version.
And to me, that difference was a little more penetration, and a bit less initial expansion with the solid base. That put them over "the line" into big game territory where a ballistic tip would be too frangible to go, IMHO.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I shoot the BT because it has a much better BC than the other bullets mentioned. When shooting long distances this is a consideration. I don't understand those that say the BT is frangible. I have seen a bull elk shot with a .270 150g NBT throught the chest at 50 feet from the gun. Entrance and exit wounds and the bullet did massive damage. If the bullet was frangible it wouldn't have killed that elk. I've seen .308 NBT's shot at deer and had no problem. Often I've talked to my friends about this and one said that he has had NBT's blow up on deer. When asked what color the tip was he couldn't remember. He brought the box of bullets in for me to see and right on the box it said .243 VARMINT BT's. He just wasn't paying attention to the bullet he bought. There is a difference between the varmint BT's and the hunting BT's. Hunting BT's work fine on deer and can be used on elk.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I shoot the BT because it has a much better BC than the other bullets mentioned. When shooting long distances this is a consideration. I don't understand those that say the BT is frangible..

The difference in BC for the BT 180 grain coal bullet is .016 the difference is meaningless IMO & E. The Solid Base has a BC of .491 and the Ballistic Tip has a BC of .507 according to Nosler

The original BT's were frangile and have been toughened up over the years

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I've been saving my modest stash of Nosler #30408 for whoever inherits my 94 Winchester?

Is a 170 grainer FP that has a boat-tail. Built for 30-30 speed. Lever revolution my a$$. That bullet is fine to 250 yards if your eyes are good with open sights. Some further if you have a bolt rifle or single-shot that can be scoped well.

Nosler made a mistake dropping that line.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
In reference to the Nosler Ballistic Tip, there are a couple of important points to keep in mind. One is, some of their lighter for caliber BT's are intended for varmints- those are very frangible,as they should be.
Also, the first BT's on the market intended for deer were more frangible than the ones they sell now.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
yep i'm done with the b/t's for big game... last year i had to throw away entirely too much meat from deer taken with a 120gr ballistic tip from a 15" encore pistol. i guess to each their own but the only use i have for plastic tips anymore is on a tsx or a heavy for caliber sst ( i like the 162gr sst in my 280)...

·
Registered
672 Posts
When it comes to deer and black bear, Core-Lokt has worked the best for me. Most have been taken with a .35 Remington 200gr. bullet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts