Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I'am just here
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
August, September, October, and on the first weekend of November rifle season starts in this part of Texas.

When my wife and I went to the local wal-mart this past weekend they had hunting gear out on the shelves.

The weekly sales paper from Gander mountain had deer stands on the front page.

When do you plan on heading out to the wood and doing some scouting? The first few weekends of august are booked for me. I will probably start scouting towards the middle and end of August.

With the drought here in Texas, there is a creek bottom that has water in it all the time. I want to get in that creek bottom and see if the deer and hogs have been using it as a water hole.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,129 Posts
Been out at the lease recently looking for pigs. Darn, it sure is hot!

I guess if you have pigs the hunting season never ends.....

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
Hey, take up bow hunting and now you only have two months!
Also, tell me where the creek is, cause we don't have any water left in NW Texas!

·
I'am just here
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, take up bow hunting and now you only have two months!
Also, tell me where the creek is, cause we don't have any water left in NW Texas!
I wonder how the drought affected the acorn crop for this year?

Been out at the lease recently looking for pigs. Darn, it sure is hot!

I guess if you have pigs the hunting season never ends.....
I bet those hogs are grouping around creeks that have water in them

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,876 Posts
TPV and I will chase speed goats around in New Mex. the last of Sept. While there, will discuss the lease hunting between Christmas and New Year's school break. I enjoy taking the grandson on these hunts moreso than plugging something myself anymore.

Hope to catch ol' MikeG and son Jake out there, along with TPV's grandson Alex and son Clay also. We have a grand time watching the kids play and us having a swap meet.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,129 Posts
The pigs are holed up in the thick brush for the most part. Only seem to come out when it's cooler, very late evening or early morning.

Have stumbled across a few young, dumb ones in daylight. But not near as many as the usual signs would indicate.

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
At 6:00PM it is still 106 degrees.
I think at this point, morning hunting is about all I will do for the next two-three weeks. The pigs abd deer are moving better then.
Once. the bucks start getting their horns, I get excited again. I've already got some good pictures, the horns are still growing so nothing great yet. The next full moon will change everything. The harder the horns get, the more they will move around, then we'll all get some better pictures.

·
I'am just here
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer the question about the acorns, the water oak in my front yard is loaded with small acorns.

My wife noticed the acorns last night and pointed it out to me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My lease is near Ranger, Texas. I went out there Sat evening to scout things out and check all the game cameras. Things don't look good for this season. We're on a very large ranch with numerous stock tanks. All but two were bone dry. Those remaining tanks have about a weeks water in them, and there were no game tracks around the tanks. Everything has moved out. No Dove, nothing. Cameras showed only a few crows and coyotes. No deer. No hogs - not even any mosquitoes! I filled only one feeder (at 65 $ !!!), but it was one inside a corral hog trap. Coons and squirrels will get the corn. A neighbor rancher told me the fawn crop has died off. SAD.

·
I'am just here
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My lease is near Ranger, Texas. I went out there Sat evening to scout things out and check all the game cameras. Things don't look good for this season. <snip> Coons and squirrels will get the corn. A neighbor rancher told me the fawn crop has died off. SAD.
I was wondering how the drought was going to affect the deer population.

I will probably put out a ground blind and set out a trail camera in the next few weeks. Hopefully I will see something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts