Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May it never be, but IF you were put in the circumstance of KEEPING and HUNTING with only ONE of your lever guns for the rest of your life, which would it be and why? Sentimental reasons? Given to you by a family member or friend? A family heirloom? Collector's item? There could be a myriad of other reasons. What's your's.

Kindest regards,
Timberwolf ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Probably my 1895 45-70,,,22" bbl, magna-ported,set up with a pro-point. my 1895M .450 marlin a close 2nd. If it had a little more bbl length I'd like it better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
the marlin 1894 in .44 mag i can set down and turn out a 1000 rounds in a short while and not go to the poor house.it will kill anything i need killing where i live.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Probably the Sharps 45/70. Because I have a hand loading kit and a bullet mould so ammo would not be a ploblem.

I have on occasions hunted "primitive" by casting over an open fire and loading shells with nothin more than hand tools, no lube sizer etc and yes it can be done. Next trip I am taking the 32/40 and trying to cast little pills in the bush and reloading with smokeless.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
The Winchester model 94 in 30-30, the consumate woods gun for over a hundred years! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you would have posed this question five days ago, I would have had to go with my a .45-70. But, I put my new .454 Puma 92 throught the wringer last weekend, and it really shined! 300WFN @ 2168fps is enough for anything around. Also, I was able to put together some excellent (for me) off-hand groups at 100yds. When I want to plink, I just shoot some .45 Colts through it.
-Mike

·
Registered
302 Posts
After looking at everything, would have to be my Savage 1899 in 30/30. It aint purty (no blueing, no finnish on the stock), but its been in the family since 1924 (year it was made) and still a good shooter for anything I would need to use it on in my neck of the woods.

Gun Runner ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just one gun? A Savage 99 in either .284 Win or a 30 caliber wildcat on the the same case. Probably already a cartridge like that.

·
Banned
116 Posts
All Around Rifle

For all around use and versatility which lets me use light loads with 44cal.pistol bullets up to big game 300+gr.loads at 2000fps plus the ability to use 410 shot shells when needed give me my 444 Marlin with Williams receiver sight.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Browning BLR 358 Win. Light handling, Plenty of thump up close, and more reach than a fellow would think. Its heck for accurate too.

I'm not sold on its trigger, or magazine, but everything else suits me right down to the ground.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
238 Posts
If I only had one lever rifle to pick from it would be my Marlin 1895 GG. You can handload it for just about anything on the planet and always find a factory load for it in most of the out-of-the-way places. CEJ.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Heaven Forbid

Just ONE!! :eek: Heaven Forbid!!
Weelllll, If I could only have one, it would have to be my Savage 99EG in.358 Winchester,Shoots cast real good and it also likes the Barnes X 200 FB's and the Nosler BT 225's. Power enough for anything I am going after. Besides it was my Dad's.

·
Banned
126 Posts
One Gun?! Wow! Tough! And a lever to boot! Oh, well, that is about all I have anyway. Which one? I don't know! 1886 .45-70 ELR? Browning 71? .348 or .450 Alaskan? Ruger No. 1? .280? .338-06? 7X57? Too many decisions! I'll just keep 'em all - and the others!

dclark

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd have to go with my 444Marlin Outfitter. It will handle anything I need to do. I hope I never have to make that decision.
Walt

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Okay Timberwolf I'll bite here. You asked which one of Your, so I'm assuming that means a lever gun that we presently own. So I reckon I'd go with my thutty-thutty. That's because, right at the moment, it's the only lever gun in my possession!!! Now, if I could choose one I don't have yet, I'd go with Winchester 1895 rebarreled for something like the 35 Whelen, 358 Hawk or 338-06. That's me, just what I'd do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One Lever gun

It would have to be the only one that I currently own and can't seem to get rid of, a Winchester Mod. 94 Big Bore in 356 Winchester with a newly installed Williams receiver sight..... You can load everything from small popper loads(158 gr. pistol bullets for small game) to 250 grain full house loads which are adequate for just about anything in North America(I am told it would down a Grizzly in a pinch, but never hope to find out). It was sadly made at the beginning of Winchesters incorporation of the cross-bolt safety...ca. 1992, and I that is just about all I regret cosmetically about it. I shoot the RCBS 200 gr. FNGC out of it at moderate velocity and with great accuracy. My own personal view is that it is hard to improve on the "feel" of the model 94 Win. It is slim and light and sings in my hands the way an old American Double barrel does in terms of balance and pointing. But, If I were to buy again I would only purchase an American made/owned firearm if I could help it...most probably a Marlin lever.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would have to stay with my tried and true Marlin 444 it can do it all here in North America, A very close secound would be a Marlin 1894 44Mag "The Little Cartridge That Could" the more I work with this combo the more I like it, you all need one for yourself it's too much fun..........................Marko

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Way to go Chris!

I would have to toss a coin to decide between the .307 and the .356!

I dream of having one of them rebarelled to 24" half round half octagon with 3/4 length magazine and a pistol grip stock from the legacy.

In effect a Model 64 Big Bore!
With a S&W M-34 4" in my back pocket I would be all set!

·
Registered
247 Posts
For me it would be my original 86 in 33 winchester,only big game I haven't shot with it are the bigger bears,and as long as they make 338 caliber bullets I am set

1 - 20 of 41 Posts