Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am i the ONLY one getting tired of the same old saw ?
seems here in Oregon most fires are lightning caused...the blame being squarely on God's broad shoulders.  I can understand a tiny fraction of fires  outside of Kalifornia are human caused,but good greif !! let's spend some of our surplus on a new slogan !!   45nut

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
How about something with the Forest Service and BLM both owning up to the fact that after 90+ years of total fire suppression, that there is so much fuel on the forest floors, that once a fire starts, it is a conflagration beyond any natural occurrence!  That was never the Creator's way of managing wild lands!

Interesting that when my father was in college, he was the trailmaster for the Marble Mountain Wilderness Area, located in the Shasta Trinity Alps of Northern California.  Cattlemen ran range cattle throughout the mountains there, then in the fall, when they brought down the last of the cattle, they rode along on their horses lighting strike anywhere matches, and intentionally set the area ablaze each fall!  This was the way things were done!  The result, all the fresh fallen dead branches and snags were burned, the grass and brush burned off from that year's growth, and the following spring there was abundant grass, and fresh forage as the brush shot forth new growth as well.  Perfect management for deer and elk as well as the range cattle, and the hazards of huge out-of-control fires were nearly non-existant due to a lack of ground based tinder dry fuels in any appreciable volume.

Those practices were discontinued sometime in the mid-late 50's, by edict of the US Department of Agrigulture, Forest Service!  Just a few years ago, there was a fire broke out in the same Marble Mountain Wilderness Area, and many, many thousands of Acres of irreplaceable old-growth timber was burned, and destroyed due to the heat generated by a half-century of accumulated fire-fuels that hadn't been previously burned!

Although this is one isolated example, I state it here merely as an illustration of what has happened all accross this nation!  Fires were, and are a natural part of forest ecosystem management, it's just that the powers directing our public lands have ignored that fact, and suppressed fires from burning, that THEY have created the conditions ripe for the catastrophic fires we're seeing in this country!

I think the slogan is at least part right!  The bungling management of our public lands has made the mess, and had they understood, and allowed the natural course of fire on those lands, they could have prevented the fires we have today!

Food for thought!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Marshall,

You stated most eloquently what I was thinking about.

You are entirely correct. Unfortunately, bureaucratic incompetence has created the situation we are now in costing many acres of forest and yes some lives in the process.

Regards, Ray

·
Registered
54 Posts
As a professional Forester, I can attest that Marshall has spoken the truth... fire suppression is very seldom the best policy.  In fact, the promotion of fire in susceptable areas is the safest, and most natural, thing that can happen.    Fire is our friend, the best management tool that the forest has.  It is a shame, every time I have seen Smoky's warning, I just cringe...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts