Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help; I didn't read the box clearly and I installed small pistol magnum primers in about 100 rounds before noticing this. Can I still use these or deactivate the primers and then remove them? This for 38 spl. I stopped and never completed loading when I discovered this.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
556 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

There are differing opinions about using the primed cases with magnum primers to make up light to moderate loads. I doubt there would be a problem and would probably load them and shoot them. Take care...
Oberndorf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are differing opinions about using the primed cases with magnum primers to make up light to moderate loads. I doubt there would be a problem and would probably load them and shoot them. Take care...
Oberndorf
Thanks, I was thinking on the premis of using a light load to compnsate.
John

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
depending on your gun the hammer may not hit it hard enough the more mag the primer the harder hit it needs i would try a few without powder and bullet to see if the primer goes off

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
If you haven't seated bullets yet, you can decap the magnum primers and save them for plinking use. Just be gentle with the decapping and it would be unlikely that you will set any off. The first time I tried this, I wrapped a handtowel around the press in the event a primer went off. Nothing happened and I reused the decapped primers later with complete success.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Good Idea, I'll give it a try. These are Winchester WSPM.
Thanks
John
Well, I've used a lot of WSP/WSPM primers in my M36 and BH, and several other .38/357 loads over the years. I never had a single dud in all that time.

For the magnum primers you should back your load down as they will throw quite a bit more "spark" at the charge. You could remove them and reuse them. I'd be too lazy unless it was my only hundred cases.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Load 'em up and shoot them, just don't use max charges. No need to worry about mixing primers in loads below maximum. Plenty of guys loaded up small pistol primers in .223 during the recent shortage.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,718 Posts
Yup. They should be fine if you stay away from top end loads. Be aware that you may get pretty horrible primer flattening with Winchester small pistol magnum primers in light loads; doesn't mean much that I can tell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts