Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaded some 45 colt cartridges using CCI 250 magnum rifle primers instead of magnum large pistol primers.

Doh!

These aren't max loads, but I'm a bit concerned about overpressure, although I'm shooting them in a Ruger Redhawk.

After I noticed my mistake I changed over to WLP primers which are rated for both standard and mag loads. Certainly will be less hot.

Any advice?

thanks...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
What bullet & what weight of what powder?

?

·
Banned
484 Posts
There are several recent threads on this same issue. If you are not using maximum loads, it will be safe to fire the rounds in a strong revolver like the Redhawk. Check to see that the primers are seated flush so that they don't bind cylinder rotation (rifle primers are a bit taller than pistol primers).

I have known quite a few reloaders over the years who used rifle primers in a handgun, either by mistake or (surprisingly quite often) on purpose, and none had any bad experiences when firing the loads from a handgun.

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
I did a relatively easy and therefore unscientific test of primers, I found that all SR, SP, SPM, LR, LRM, & LP primers that I had on hand made basically the same noise and flash. I used .45 ACP cases and a 1911 for the test, I had some .45 ACP cases with the small pocket.

FWIW, I think they are basically marketing hype, even though I still use the specific primers for their intended use.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I did a relatively easy and therefore unscientific test of primers, I found that all SR, SP, SPM, LR, LRM, & LP primers that I had on hand made basically the same noise and flash. I used .45 ACP cases and a 1911 for the test, I had some .45 ACP cases with the small pocket.

FWIW, I think they are basically marketing hype, even though I still use the specific primers for their intended use.
I would have to disagree with the "they are all the same" statement. From what I have read primers even within the same size but different manufactures can vary greatly.

If you ever get a chance to read The Benchrest Shooting Primer, they have a good article and pictures of different rifle primers that were tested. In these pictures you can clearly see that a CCI primer may have twice the amount of "bang" as a federal primer within the same type of primer.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=776339

I would also agree that it is a good idea to use each primer for it's intended purpose.

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
Way to pick my post and find one thing to disagree with and not read the rest.

I didn't have CCI primers, only Remington, Federal, and Winchester.

I'll order that book though, I haven't seen it before and I just a $10 off thing from Midway.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
If nothing else is different(it is) I know rifle primers are made with a thicker cup as most rifles deliver a heavier primer strike and develop more pressure, then came the 500 S&W mag and rifle primers in pistols ect.:)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,997 Posts
I remember a study years ago accompanied by pictures showing the various strengths of primers as far as flash and noise went. Don't think it addressed the hardness of the cup metal, though.

There WAS a definite difference in flash between the various brands. Don't ask which was stronger - old age and time have taken their toll! :D

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,223 Posts
Well, this sounds like a perfectly good reason to buy a Marlin 1894 or Rossi 92 rifle in 45 colt. Then you could shot the rifle primed rounds without worry.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, this sounds like a perfectly good reason to buy a Marlin 1894 or Rossi 92 rifle in 45 colt. Then you could shot the rifle primed rounds without worry.

No that's the best solution by far!

Instead, I'll pull the 250 gr bullets and replace w/ 200 grainers...plenty of safety margin. These were just going to be used to make a mist out of gallon water jugs anyway.

Tried to find some real magnum pistol promers today and of course everyone is out. I only have a few WLP's left.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting...I kept a few of the 250 grain Hornady HP loads with the CCI 250 mag rifle primer.

The velocity of those rounds chroned at 160 fps more than the exact load with WLP primers.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Way to pick my post and find one thing to disagree with and not read the rest.

I didn't have CCI primers, only Remington, Federal, and Winchester.

I'll order that book though, I haven't seen it before and I just a $10 off thing from Midway.
I read it all, and the CCI, Federal comparison was just a generalization.

It's a good book, I reccomend it. It's mainly just a compressed version of all the good articles out of Precision Shooter Magazine. About 400 some pages of different articles.

I remember a study years ago accompanied by pictures showing the various strengths of primers as far as flash and noise went. Don't think it addressed the hardness of the cup metal, though.

There WAS a definite difference in flash between the various brands. Don't ask which was stronger - old age and time have taken their toll! :D
The book I mentioned above shows this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts