Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I stopped buy the local gun shop and made the mistake of asking what was new in the store. One of the employees there mentioned a new gun and handed me a pristine Remington A303 made in 1943.

I have a collection of guns from WWII and the Springfield was the only one really missing. They had always been scarce and I never seemed to have any money when the few seen were for sale. Needless to say, it has now joined the Ruger 3 screw blackhawk on lay-away in the shop.

The bore on this gun was perfect, and the metal had been taken care of. Someone blued the bolt handle and worked the stock over, but it was not altered at all. The gun looks like a presentation piece and will fit nicely into my collection. Now all I have to do is pay for it and get it home with it's cousins the Mr. Garand, Mr. Carbine, Mr. Enfield, Mr. Carcano, Mr. Nagant, Mr. Arisaka, Mr. Mauser, and Mr. Swede.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I'm sure it was just a typo, but it's "03A3" and I'm glad you found one to round out the family in your gun safe. :)

Mine is not original, but the action and barrel are in excellent shape. It was made after yours, '46 I think, and has some kind of special rifling, but as far as anyone can tell, it's never been fired. That will change very soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, you're right. I'm out of it this morning. between a good dose of cold medicine and the flu, I'm not with it. LOL.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Well, get yourself a good long nap and dream about your first trip to the range with the 03A3. Which one are you going to get out of hock first, the pistol or the rifle?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably the pistol. That cost less to get home. The 03A3 cost me $600, and the Pistol $500. I really need to stop going to the gunshop midweek. It's getting expensive. LOL.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
I hate it when that happens

I usually stumble over a few great deals every time I visit a gun shop. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Mine is not original, but the action and barrel are in excellent shape. It was made after yours, '46 I think, and has some kind of special rifling, but as far as anyone can tell, it's never been fired. That will change very soon!
I believe the stop making the M1903A3 in 44', you may have a aresnal replacement barrel on your reciever. There is 4 and 2 grove barrels on the 03A3.

CD

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Maybe it was in '44 and I think it has the 4-groove rifling...that's what it looks like when I checked out the crown, anyway.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well, dmsbandit, I was planning on getting myself a WWII gun collections as well, so I'm curious: Have you shot all of them? What do you think of the M1 Carbine? The Swede? Which do you like the most?

I've been told that military gun collectors usually have an eccentricity when collecting, for example, all of my friends WWII guns are from 1943 (or is it '41? I don't remember). Do you do something like that?

Congrats on the 03A3. Hope you get both of them home soon!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, dmsbandit, I was planning on getting myself a WWII gun collections as well, so I'm curious: Have you shot all of them? What do you think of the M1 Carbine? The Swede? Which do you like the most?

I've been told that military gun collectors usually have an eccentricity when collecting, for example, all of my friends WWII guns are from 1943 (or is it '41? I don't remember). Do you do something like that?

Congrats on the 03A3. Hope you get both of them home soon!

Yes I have shot all of them. I like the Swede the most of it's amazing accuracy and pleasant manners. Many years ago when I was young and foolish, I shot a 23pound Tom turkey at 200 yds with the open sights and 140 FMJ ammo.

I also like the carbine. I put a red-dot sight on it and you'd be surprised how accurate they can be. My IBM model sits next to the bed standing guard.

The Carcano is a carbine and really crude, but it goes bang and only cost $40 in near new condition.

The Enfield was still wrapped in the brown paper it was shipped with.

Shooting and carrying the Garand gives you a new respect for the men of WWII. To carry that gun across the woods of Europe, deserts of Africa, and Jungles of the Pacific was a testiment to the soilers of that generation.

The Mausers are S/42 versions pre-war versions but they have seen many rounds of ammo thru their barrels and speak to me everytime I carry them to the range. The wood and metal is very good, but corrosive WWII ammo has done it's work on the rifling.

The Arisaka is the 7.7 version with the dust cover and is in really nice shape. It was a surrendered rifle and shoots quite well.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally got my 03A# home this weekend. it shoots great, and is going to be a welcome addition to my WWII collection. Here are a few pictures of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts