Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been hunting with an old war relic for ten years that my Uncle had brought home from WWII (Tarawa). It was an Arisaka model 99 type2 in 7.7mm. It is the two piece paratroop rifle and seemed like it was longer and heavier than it was when walking with it through the woods. I had, up to that point, filled my tag with it every year for the decade I had owned the rifle. It was opening morning and I had driven up from 80° Florida to hunt in 9° Michigan once again. I got setup under a large pine tree overlooking a xmas tree farm I had been successful in for the past five years. Shortly the sun started rising. Thats when I started hearing the snorts coming from more than a few directions. As the light of day helped with visibilty there stood a half a dozen Does staring in my direction. I had been very still but figured Id been sniffed out. Busted. Does werent an option on my out of state tag so I was just a motionless spectator. More than one of these girls snorted and stamped the ground staring in my direction. As they meandered off out followed a respectable eight point buck with his attention captured by the ladies. His last mistake. The old jap 7.7 roared and down he went in a heap. I had gotten used to aiming low with the 100m military iron peep sights when the target was around 50m away. This spooked the does and they shot left to right across a few neatly spaced rows of 6' unharvested xmas pines. Made a hard 90° right turn and headed straight up the row at me. All I could see was a dozen big white eyes bearing down on me! When they reached my position where I stood frozen in place they were zipping past me on both sides in a blur! One of the does smacked the muzzel of my old 7.7 so hard it nearly knocked it out of the death-grip I had on it! I hadnt even had the chance to rack another shell into the chamber! After I gained my composure I staggered over to my the buck and field dressed him and started the drag out of the rows of xmas trees back to camp. After telling my story of nearly dying in a whitetail stampede I got more than a few ''.......yeah, sure'' and ''....uh huh, right'' As everyone was relenting that I had won the money in the pot for shooting the first deer their skepticism about the stampede was obvious. Then one of the younger hunters pointed at my old war souvenier and exclaimed ...''what did you have to do....beat the does off?'' There caught up in the old relics front sight blade were four or five white hairs about two inches long where the deer had slammed into the muzzel when trying to dodge me back in the xmas trees! They wouldnt let me tell that story at the Moose Lodge that night. Claimed no one would believe it!

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Arisaka99,

That's a great story! I almost got trampled once when we were bow-hunting in CA and my dad used a fawn-in-distress call to bring in several angry does. One of them ran right by me, less than 10 feet away, snorting and stomping the ground.

Also, the 7.7Jap was my first rifle and even though I only harvested 2 deer with it before getting my 270, it is still in my safe, waiting for its next opportunity. Reading your story makes me want to drag it out for a coyote or wild pig hunt. :)

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Now, here me out. I think this would have allowed you to take a doe with no repercussions. For accurate shooting with the M44 Mosin, you have to have the bayonet extended. If you had had the bayonet attached on your Japanese Battle Rifle, you could have claimed defense of life and possibly got to keep the doe. That would have made all the hunting mags as well as Outdoor Life. :)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
These are great stories - I'm sure most folks have one or two similar they should share.

Had a mule deer doe come charging in with hackles raised and eyes like fried eggs when predator calling in a dry wash in Wyoming years ago. She came to a stop just above me, snorting and stomping, raining dirt clods down on me. Figured if she had jumped down in with me, I would have had a battle royal on my hands! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts