Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am destined to buy a big gun, most of mine are in the 200 series. I love throwing heavy objects downrange, accurately.
My question is of the following Calibers, based on Ammo Availability now and in the future which is the most popular. Also the WSM's and the WSSM's seem to be on the back burner for some reason. Im looking at 300/338 Win Mag or Ultra Mag, There are a couple others in that group, but I mainly want an Opinion as to which would be the most used.

·
Banned
991 Posts
In the 300mags I consider the 300wby to be the best balanced in giving velocity accuracy and down range capabilities an it can be had in a vanguard or Mark V. I did not say that the 300Win mag or the 300Rum are not very good cartridges I just said the best balanced in my opinion in the 300mag class is the 300Wby. I do not consider the 300WSM much above the 30-06 and certainly not better than the 300H&H. The 300H&H does not have a lot of factory loads so it is a reloading adventure.

The 338 class is a great class and any of the following will fill the bill. 338Win Mag , 340Wby and the 338Rum. I have a 338Win mag and have a 340Wby on the way and working with someone right now and might buy a 338Rum, that ought to tell you what i think of the 338 class cartridges also the 338-06 is better than most think.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
In the 300mags I consider the 300wby to be the best balanced in giving velocity accuracy and down range capabilities an it can be had in a vanguard or Mark V. I did not say that the 300Win mag or the 300Rum are not very good cartridges.
Had to throw that in there to keep me from coming after ya huh ? lol

I have a .300 Win Mag and a .300 RUM. The Win Mag has been great, and it has actually brought blood. The RUM, I just got, and haven't got to take it hunting yet, but it's quickly becoming my new favortie, even over my .338 Win Mag.

I'm with Beartracker though, I love the .338 class, and want my RUM rebarrled to a .338 version.

If you want ammo availbility, go with the .300 Win Mag. Not to mention, it wont beat the tar out of you if you arent used to recoil. The RUM class cartridges bring with them huge muzzleblast and a lot of recoil. The .300 RUM recoils more than a .338 Win Mag.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Why stop at .338, might as well go to .358 and get a .35 Whelen.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I am destined to buy a big gun, most of mine are in the 200 series. I love throwing heavy objects downrange, accurately.
My question is of the following Calibers, based on Ammo Availability now and in the future which is the most popular. Also the WSM's and the WSSM's seem to be on the back burner for some reason. Im looking at 300/338 Win Mag or Ultra Mag, There are a couple others in that group, but I mainly want an Opinion as to which would be the most used.
You kind of answered your own question: In rounds that will have ammo available for the foreseeable future, nothing can top the 300WM and 338WM. Either of those will give you everything you are looking for and you'll always be able to get factory ammo for them.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'm with Beartracker though, I love the .338 class, and want my RUM rebarrled to a .338 version.
Why do that when you can use it as a good excuse for new rifle a la 338 RUM?

If you want ammo availbility, go with the .300 Win Mag. Not to mention, it wont beat the tar out of you if you arent used to recoil. The RUM class cartridges bring with them huge muzzleblast and a lot of recoil. The .300 RUM recoils more than a .338 Win Mag.
I couldn't have said that better. Personally for the recoil of the 300 RUM, I'd rather have the 338 Win Mag.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Why stop at .338, might as well go to .358 and get a .35 Whelen.
That's what I'm talking about...I'm a big 35 caliber fan and the Whelen (or 350 RM) are two great rounds. I unfortunately noticed that Remington is discontinuing the 350 RM in their M7 this year....

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
M1Garand said:
Why do that when you can use it as a good excuse for new rifle a la 338 RUM?
I wanted my Sendero to be a .338 RUM, but Remington no longer offers it that way.

·
Banned
397 Posts
JM has it right. If you can't do it with a .300 Wichester Mag. or
a .338 Winchester Mag. something is wrong. Either one of them
will do you for anything in North America. If you are talking
Africa then talk about the .375 H&H for a starter.

Zeke

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
ZB, it is not always about need for some folks. I absolutely do not need a .300 Ultra Mag for small Virginia Whitetail, but I have one for the task. Just now I can blow the front shoulder through the back one :D

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
ZB, it is not always about need for some folks. I absolutely do not need a .300 Ultra Mag for small Virginia Whitetail, but I have one for the task. Just now I can blow the front shoulder through the back one :D
...and just think how much processing time you'll save! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Must be some people don't like to EAT deer, just shoot them!:rolleyes:

I usually wont shoot for both shoulders. If they are perfectly broadside (and how often does that happen?), I'll move it back behind the shoulder. But quartering one way or the other, I will break one shoulder. You guys really take me way too seriously on some things...lol

·
Registered
409 Posts
After I shot my 150 lb whitetail doe with my 300 RUM, it blew it up 6 ft off the ground and when it came down it was already in sausage links and packaged meat.......just like the old Popeye cartoons.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts