Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Inactive account
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase my first ever handgun. I'm really drawn to the 357SIG for a number of reasons but the ballistics are the number 1 reason. I would love to hear ya'lls opinions and thoughts on the 357SIG and what other than a Sig Sauer do you think is a good pistol. I really can't go nuts where the price is concerned and spend to much, so with that in mind if there's something in the $500 range that would be good. Thank so much

·
Registered
955 Posts
I am looking to purchase my first ever handgun. I'm really drawn to the 357SIG for a number of reasons but the ballistics are the number 1 reason. I would love to hear ya'lls opinions and thoughts on the 357SIG and what other than a Sig Sauer do you think is a good pistol. I really can't go nuts where the price is concerned and spend to much, so with that in mind if there's something in the $500 range that would be good. Thank so much
Well, Glocks can be about $520, maybe even less, if you look around. They chamber three sizes of gun, including a good one for concealed carry, in that cartridge.
Springfield's XD and Smith & Wesson's M&P can both be gotten in that chambering, too, and they're a little less expensive than Glocks (S&W just dropped their price on the M&P). The M&P can be gotten in a sub-compact size, as well.
All three gun series are excellent guns, as well.

As to my thoughts on the cartridge, it's a great option if you're a believer in the hydrostatic shock effect for ending threats. However, if you're in the camp of belief that a bigger bullet is better, the the .357 Sig takes up as much room as a .40 S&W, but is a smaller, lighter bullet.
I have no doubt that it would be a good stopper, though bullet companies may need to develop bullets specifically for this cartridge. A hollow-point designed to expand at the velocities of a 9mm Luger might not expand correctly when hitting at the velocities of a .357 Sig.
The hitch, however, is cost of practice. Unless you handload (which I do, and I handload my .357 Sig ammo), the price of practicing with a .357 Sig may be nearly three times the price of practicing with a 9mm Luger. It isn't quite twice the price of .40 S&W, but it's close.
If you opt to handload, you can drop the price of your practice ammo down to very nearly the same as handloading 9mm Luger. The way I do it requires an extra step, compared to .40 S&W, but with this cartridge, you can very easily save enough money to pay for your whole handloading set-up. If I remember correctly, it costs me about $8 per 50 rounds to load this cartridge. Compared to the $30 per 50 factory ammo I see out there, that's a fair amount of savings.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
For my CCW gun I carry an AMT DAO Back Up in .357 Sig, and prefer it to my .40 S&W configuration, due to more reliable feeding. I find my Back Up accuracy is on a par with my Model 39 S&W in 9mm. Power of the .357 Sig falls between the 9mm and the .357 S&W Mag. [124 gr in 9mm, and 125 gr in both .357 Sig and a Ruger SP 101 snub in .357 S&W Mag.] As previously stated, commercial ammo for the .357 Sig is more costly than the ammo for the .40 S&W.

My advice is to pick the firearm that gives you a natural pointability and fits you and that you are comefortable with. [Being able to testfire both on a range prior to purchase would be a definite plus.]

My method of determining natural point of aim for a firearm is to pick a spot on the wall, look at it for a few secconds, close my eyes, and then raise the firearm and point it at that spot. Then open my eyes and see if the sights are lined up where they should be.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,327 Posts
Loud. The .357 Sig seems to have quite a concussion when you touch one off. Might be an issue, might not.

Granted, I carry a snubbie .357 Mag, so I'm in the same camp. But you might shoot one first. My impression of them is that the .357 Sig isn't much more pleasant, as far as muzzle blast goes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a Sig P226 in 40 S&W. I got a 357 Sig barrel from Sig which is interchangeable on the 226 frame. I load for both cartridges and I'm very pleased with this firearm.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have owned a couple 357 sigs for a while, maybe 10 years.

It seems silly to me, to neck a 40 down to 355 and then make it a hollow point to try to get it to expand back to 40.

That would make sense against prairie dogs with rifles.... but not much sense against perps in pistol range.

·
Banned
334 Posts
I have never understood the niche that the .357Sig was trying to fill. I can see no purpose - especially in a defense weapon - when there are so many good calibers that have been exhaustively tested. In strict self-defense range, the "mine-is-better-than-yours" calibers of 9mm, .40S&W and .45acp seem more than well suited. Of course, if your CCW attitude is gunfights and defense of the world, then the .38Super has better trajectory. Maybe I'm just old - but, I would pick a different caliber. Besides... you'll go broke if you buy practice ammo. Reloading is a different story, of course, but - even then - brass isn't cheap, either. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a Model 32 Glock

Nice gun. I didn't needanother caliber, but couldn't pass the gun up at the price. my case ends up being the perfect demonstartion of the Gillette School of marketing. "Giv'em the razor, sell'em the blades"! I'm blown away at the cost of ammo and am not reloading for it yet so it is the last piece I grab to go shooting. That ain't good!

For my first gun I'd be looking at a 45ACP, but that's just the way I'm wound. Whichever caliber you get as your first and, for at least a time, your only pistol, I think you are better off with one of the more standard claibers. It will be easier for folks you meet to help you out if you have a 45, 9, 357, 38, 44, rather than a more exotic piece. You want that kind of help!

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
First ever handgun? Go buy a Ruger MKIII .22LR and learn how to shoot first. The .357 Sig is a great cartridge and most of the firearms are very good quality. I have a S&W M&P in .40 S&W and a .357 Sig barrel for it, but I've never shot it.

Yes, its somewhat louder than 9mm or .40S&W, and has somewhat better ballistics but those don't help if you don't shoot it enough, and I'll be the first to tell you that you will go broke buying commercial ammo. Heck, my first centerfire was a .357 Mag Ruger GP100 that I bought 2 boxes of commercial ammo for before I decided I needed to handload.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
I had discussed the 375sig in the past, thought I would link you some info...

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=6620

This thread discusses 357mag vs. the 357 sig.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=69315&highlight=357sig

And this one compared to the .40 cal.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=62570&highlight=357sig

Hope these help.

I can tell you from shooting it, it is a potent round. While the ammo is a bit more expensive than .40 or 9mm, it surely is no slouch compared to both.

·
Registered
153 Posts
.357 Sig

I have 2 Glocks in the caliber. A G-32 and a G-27 that I changed over to .357. I enjoy and trust the round and I just bought 600 rds of "Ultramax" 125 gr. hardball from Cabela's at a good price. I don't reload and I figure the ammo will last long enough for me to save my nickels and buy more.

·
Inactive account
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the information and the links above, i will check them out. After i posted this i started looking around at the price of ammo for the 357 Sig and man was i shell shocked ( no pun intended ) at it's price. I don't handload so that would be an issue for sure. I'll have to take a look at the 40 S&W and the 9mm. My brother is devoted to the 45acp, but i'm just not that crazy about or sold on it. I hope no one passes out after reading that. Has anyone ever used the Glaser ammo by CorBon and what did you think of it ?

·
Banned
334 Posts
My brother is devoted to the 45acp, but i'm just not that crazy about or sold on it.
Well, to each their own; however, JMB's 1911 platform is 100 years old, tested in numerous wars, carried by a great many LEO's, and responsible for a great many dead bad guys. The .45acp unquestionably works. That said, only you can decide what caliber works best for you. 9mm is cheap and has also proven effective over a very long period.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.