Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
282 Posts
You don't need premium bullets for those deer, their not that big. The Power Point didn't expand enough. I'd use Rem. CoreLokt's or Federal Classic's. The Rem 180 grain won't blow up. I've used them on Moose. The 165 Federal load will be more expansive. The lighter the bullet, the more expansive. Most premium bullets are designed for larger game, so they will expand but at a slower rate. Ballistic tips will expand faster. I've had Silvertips blow up before, so don't trust Win. bullets. There's a thread around here someplace about "bad" bullets.

· Banned
282 Posts
Chief RID

I bet the problem was to low of velocity. Those bullets are designed to expand at normal .308 caliber velocities. If you slow them down too much, then you are in effect shooting the animal with velocities that you might have had at longer range. 45 cast bullets will punch a big hole, but a .308 bullet at slow speed just zips through with little expansion and no damage, unless you hit bone. If you are going to reduce your load, then use bullets designed for the 30-30. You will get better expansion but remember you have reduced your range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.